Backup of one course fails

Backup of one course fails

by Chrissy Trenholme -
Number of replies: 6

I have a weekly backup of our courses that works really well except for one course that will not backup.  I have tried to do this course individually too but it still fails.

I have also tried to do the course individually by selecting only some of the options, using different ones at different attempts, to isolate what might be the problem and it fails every time to create a backup.

Any thoughts at what I should try to get this course to backup would be greatly appreciated.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Chrissy Trenholme

Re: Backup of one course fails

by Chris Potter -
Do you have any non-standard modules that are installed? If there's an instance of a module/block that is only in that course, that might be a good indication that something's odd. Another thought would be to check the details of the course backup log. You can access your backup log at http://yourwebsite.com/backup/log.php and then scroll to see which course is the offender. Click it and it should show a detail of the backup and exactly where it stopped. Hopefully, this helps a little. smile
In reply to Chris Potter

by Chrissy Trenholme -

Chris, Thanks for this didn't know these details were there!  I don't have any non standard modules so that's not that problem.  But looking at the backup details it seems to stop almost at the end of Phase 2, it zips the files but then stops.

What would stop moodle copying the back up? Is there a default size for a course/backup that I am unaware of and that needs to increase?

Any thoughts would be appreciated.  Thanks  Chrissy smile

by Chris Potter -
Your course backups won't have a limit on size, as long as there's space available on the storage device. It could be stopping for several reasons. Do you have a Windows server, Mac server, or a Linux server?
In reply to Chris Potter

by Chrissy Trenholme -

OK, we have a Windows server. Once it has stopped at that course it then posts an error and goes on and backs up all the rest of the courses. 

by Chris Potter -
I guess I should also ask if this happens every time you do a complete backup, or does it 'sometimes' fail? I know I've had a few fail, and I keep the last 20 copies. If I run into an issue consistently, I'll usually go in and delete a few. I suspect that for some reason sometimes the deleting of old files will fail, and then the file can't be put into the backup files location because it's at the max Moodle allows. There just seems to be something a bit quirky.
In reply to Chris Potter

by Chrissy Trenholme -
Yep it does, and I don't think it's to do with numbers as I only keep one backup of each course.  It is really strange as it doesn't stop the backup of the courses that follow on afterwards and I can't do it on an individual basis.  Oh well will just take a copy of the file off the server for the moment in case of problems over the holiday! 
Happy Christmas to you