What do you think? question about the review interface

What do you think? question about the review interface

by Tim Hunt -
Number of replies: 9
Gambar Core developers Gambar Documentation writers Gambar Particularly helpful Moodlers Gambar Peer reviewers Gambar Plugin developers
When you review a quiz attempt, you get a summary table at the top giving the score, time taken, and so on. On a multi-page quiz, this table is repeated at the top of each page.

I have just been asked to only show it at the top of the first page of the review in OU Moodle. That seems like a good idea to me, but I was wondering if everyone else agreed. So:

Should the attempt summary information be shown on every page of the review of a multi-page quiz, or just on the first page?
Attachment quizreviewsummarytable.png
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Tim Hunt

Re: What do you think? question about the review interface

by Joseph Rézeau -
Gambar Core developers Gambar Particularly helpful Moodlers Gambar Plugin developers Gambar Testers Gambar Translators
Showing the attempt summary info on the first page only looks OK to me. Tim, could you not set up a Choice survey on moodle.org front page for gathering responses on that matter?
Joseph
In reply to Tim Hunt

by Tim Florian -
The first page only as long as it displays the the total score and grade for the quiz.
In reply to Tim Hunt

by Ray Lawrence -
No, on every page is best.

Why would I want to have to navigate back to the first page to see this information if I happen to be on page x of the quiz. Also this reminds me whose attempt I am reviewing on every page.

What is the rationale of the OU change request? It seems like change for the sake of it to me.
In reply to Ray Lawrence

by Tim Hunt -
Gambar Core developers Gambar Documentation writers Gambar Particularly helpful Moodlers Gambar Peer reviewers Gambar Plugin developers
As part of of testing the new gradebook, a couple of my colleagues who are responsible for setting policy and gathering requirements in the online-assessment area have been been going through the assessment parts of Moodle that we use (primarily the quiz and the gradebook for now) with a fine-toothed comb, and reporting bugs, and requesting enhancements to make everything fit with how the OU does things, or should do things in future.

I think the main reason for this request was that a significant proportion of our users are still on 800x600 screens. When reviewing a quiz with one question per page, without the summary table there, you can step through the quiz without scrolling down (for most questions). With the table, you have to scroll down on every page. (Part of the problem may be the number of bars we are obliged to show in the header of the OU theme, but sadly we are not allowed to change that.)

You make a good point about knowing who's attempt you are reviewing. Perhaps when a teacher is reviewing someone else's attempt, we should change the last item in the navigation bar from "Review of attempt 3" to "Review of attempt 3 by Fred Bloggs".
In reply to Tim Hunt

by Ray Lawrence -
Hmm... I see. Perhaps a wider question here is should there be a min. resolution monitor resolution spec.for Moodle.

Ref navigation bar do you mean 1 or 2 in the screen shot below? It would be a shame to lose the profile pic, so 2 hopefully.

Whilst on the topic of tidying things up the text for the number of attempts could be improved. Current e.g.

2 Students have made 3 attempts

would be better as

2 Students have made a total of 3 attempts

I think the former suggests 6 attempts, the latter 3 attempts (which is correct). Last time I raised this you suggested editing the language page for each instance. tongueout Do you feel the same about this?

Attachment quiz.png
In reply to Ray Lawrence

by Tim Hunt -
I mean 1. in our Moodle which I have hacked to remove 2.

In standard Moodle, I would be inclined to make both those strings the same.

About your second point. Have you seen Moodle 1.9?
In reply to Tim Hunt

by Ray Lawrence -
Yes, agreed both stings the same preferably with the profile pic. for 2 still.

Still a shame to lose the summary view for everyone to accommodate the 1 question per page 800 x 600 scenario though.

Ref. 1.9. Aha! Not spotted that. Good stuff.
In reply to Tim Hunt

by Just H -
Hi Tim

We don't use multi-page at the moment so not speaking from experience but can see both points of view.

As a compromise, would it be possible to make it configurable in the quiz set up?

regards
H
In reply to Just H

by heather lehman -
I very much would like to remove the majority of the information from this review. The time taken is not needed in our situation, the started and completed are not needed at all.

Is there any way to remove this report area? Where do I find the code to alter if that is my only route.

Our use of moodle is a very simple situation where this information is really too much.

any help appreciated,
heather lehman
hlehman@corpethics.org