Installing Moodle on Lycos

Installing Moodle on Lycos

by Sue Wright -
Number of replies: 3

I am completely new to Moodle although I have set up other PHP/MySQL websites and so basically understand the process. I wanted to try out the software without paying for web hosting and have tried to set it up on Lycos. I seem to have a problem with the database part as I have a database setup as part of my free account but it has my username as its name. I have tried to add an additional table called Moodle but then get lots of error messages about a variety of problems.

Has anyone else tried this?Is there an idiots guide that I can follow please!

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Sue Wright

Re: Installing Moodle on Lycos

by Ray Lawrence -

Hi Sue,

You could always set it up on any Windows computer e.g. laptop, desktop using EasyPHP. This will install Apache/PHP/MySQL for you. There's a guide here and lots of solutions / suggestions for difficulties others have faced. Plus, if your'e still stuck there's always someone around who will try to help.

Ray

In reply to Sue Wright

Re: Installing Moodle on Lycos

by Daryl Hawes -
The database that you use does not need to be called moodle. My database is my username as well.
In your config.php file just specify the $CFG->dbname variable as the username/database name that exists. Moodle will then use that database when creating new tables.

$CFG->dbtype = 'mysql'; // mysql or postgres7 (for now)
$CFG->dbhost = 'localhost'; // eg localhost or db.isp.com
$CFG->dbname = 'yourusername'; // database name, eg moodle
$CFG->dbuser = 'yourusername'; // your database username
$CFG->dbpass = 'yourpass'; // your database password
$CFG->prefix = 'mdl_'; // Prefix to use for all table names