How to show only incorrectly answered questions in further attempts?

How to show only incorrectly answered questions in further attempts?

by Sue Dark -
Number of replies: 5

Hi,

My client is using 1.8.x.  They are an 'assessment' centre and trainees need to score 100%. Normally (offline) students take a quiz and then on further attempts are only shown the question 'types' they got incorrect, until they get to the magic 100%.

My client wishes to create question banks of the different question types/levels and randomise the quiz to pull in those questions. On further attempts she wants Moodle to detect that they got the question correct (from that pool) and so show no further questions (from that pool) - only to continue showing questions from the 'pools' that were incorrect.

I cannot see a way currently that this can be set up. Has anyone used this approach or can anyone tell me if this type of upgrade is planned?

Thank you, Sue

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Sue Dark

Re: How to show only incorrectly answered questions in further attempts?

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
The quiz does note offer this functionality. The closest thing it has is 'Each attempt builds on last'.

What you are asking for sounds to my like a way to let anyone pass, providing they have enough patience to keep guessing, but then I am in a cynical mood this morning.
In reply to Tim Hunt

by Sue Dark -

Hi Tim,

Its a competency-based assessment, required by certain industry training organisations. Normally, in a face-to-face session the assessor would keep providing the trainee with a question from the 'pool' of questions - note from a specific topic at a specified level - until that trainee was able to demonstrate the knowledge or skill being assessed.

So, translating this into the quiz online experience, the automation of this would be to create a pool and that each time the quiz is attempted, only the 'questions' which have not yet been answered correctly will appear - but the key thing to note is that its not necessarily the exact same question that appears but a question of equal level/same topic (this is in fact to try and eliminate the keep guessing at the same question until I hit the right radio button syndrome!).

Regards

Sue

In reply to Sue Dark

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
Can I be unreservedly cynical about this? Please, just to play devil's advocate? evil

If you roll a dice often enough, you will eventually roll a 6, you just have to be patient.

And if you keep rolling a 20-sided dice, you will eventually roll a 20, but you have to be more patient.

More generally, if you have something with a non-zero probability of success, and you keep doing it repeatedly, then eventually you will succeed with probability 1.

Add on the view that industry training organisations get paid if their students pass their courses (in repeat business, even if the first course is dependant of the course result) and you have a nice little conspiracy theory going. (And the same thing is sometimes alleged of universities.)

Anyway, moving away from the cynicism, Moodle does not currently do what you want. It would be possible to implement, either as yet another option for how quizzes work, or by creating another activity module that uses the same questions from the question bank, but presents them to students in the way you want, with a matching set of reports and so on. (I prefer option 2 here) However, we are talking a development project of a couple of weeks to a couple of months. However, I would be a very worthwhile type of activity to have in the modules and plugins database. I would also be very useful for students doing revision, for example. So if you have those sorts of resources, you could talk to a Moodle Partner (for example, Catalyst IT if you are from Wellington, NZ) about getting it written.
In reply to Tim Hunt

by Vikram Solia -
Tim,

The students could be encouraged to get their answers correct as soon as possible by applying penalties in subsequent attempts.
In reply to Sue Dark

by Vikram Solia -
Sue,

Seems interesting and challenging.

As Tim pointed out, this is not possible in Moodle right now. Do you want the incorrect questions to repeat again or be replaced from others of its pool. I assume the number of questions in the quiz remain the same, though the ratio of questions from the different pools will maintain the ratio of the unanswered / incorrect questions.

We had customised Moodle 1.6 for presenting the subsequent attempts of the same quiz adapt according to the performance in the previous attempt. This was done by adding a difficulty level for the questions and the quizzes.

Vikram Solia