Allow students to upload their websites?

Allow students to upload their websites?

Fernando Oliveira
Vastuste arv 2
Plugin developers pilt

One of our teachers is looking allow her students to showcase her students webpages, which were created locally. I've been looking around, but I can't seem to find a way to allow for this sort of functionality. Wondering if anyone has any suggestions. Basically, students need to be able to upload a series of files and folders and then publish a link to their homepage (index.html).

Thanks,

Fernando

Keskmine hinnang: -
Vastuses Fernando Oliveira

Re: Allow students to upload their websites?

Peter Ruthven-Stuart
Plugin developers pilt
Fernando,

I can think of three possible solutions or workarounds.

One workaround is to have students save their website into one zip file and upload the zip file to a Forum or Database activity. Other students could then download the zip file, open it on their own hard disks and view it 'off line'. Not ideal, but it would work.

Another possibility is to either give students their own course in which they have editing rights, and they could then create a 'web site' within a moodle course, or within an existing moodle course they could be given editing privileges over the Web Page resource module. This requires the ability to override roles, and so needs moodle 1.7 or greater. It would also be a rather limited web page.

Another possibility is the Wiki activity module.

None of these solutions are perfect, but they might work for your colleague.
Vastuses Fernando Oliveira

Re: Allow students to upload their websites?

Steve Hyndman

Another solutions would be to set-up a dedicated site for your students and make them teachers in their own courses. Then all they would need do is zip their websites, upload them to the files area, unzip them, and link to the homepage of the site.

Here is an example of that...using a label to link to the homepage of an uploaded website built in MS FrontPage.

Steve