Moodle documentation: Moodle 1.8 Grade documentation.

Moodle documentation: Moodle 1.8 Grade documentation.

by Emanuel Delgado -
Number of replies: 10
Hello,

I have to build a grade related activity module.
Can someone tell me where I can get information about grades for Moodle 1.8? Namely, documentation about database infrastructure and API.

Thanks,
ED
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Emanuel Delgado

Re: Moodle documentation: Moodle 1.8 Grade documentation.

by Nicolas Connault -
http://docs.moodle.org/en/Development:Grades

This page has most of the info, or links to relevant info. If you find anything that needs improving, please contribute ;)

Regards,
Nicolas
In reply to Nicolas Connault

by Emanuel Delgado -
Hello Nicolas,

I am very willing to contribute. I am starting my learning of the plarform and hope to contribute to it in a near future.
For now, and concerning the grades documentation, as I understand, it focus on version 1.9 and does not stress the differences between other versions (and there are quite a few).
I am developing a grade related activity module and would be good that I could access some information about version 1.8.

Regards,
ED

by Anthony Borrow -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Emanuel - I've done some work with the 1.8 gradebook especially related to the gradebookplus version 2 patch (GBPv2). Feel free to ask me any specific questions as I would be happy to support your development efforts. If I know the answer or have anything I can think to offer, I will be happy to let you know. Peace - Anthony
In reply to Anthony Borrow

by Emanuel Delgado -
Hello Anthony,

I would really appreciate all the help you can give me.
I've just started a few days ago Moodle development and have in hands the task of developing a gradebook with a few changes, specific of evaluation methods in Portugal. I think is a harsh way to start with, but since I have some experience in PHP and MySQL, I started studying the Moodle structure and philosophy and I think I'm ready to begin the task.
I'm having some trouble with documentation, as I understand that there is a big focus on version 1.9 (very different from 1.8).
My approach is to try to emulate gradebook in a module and add the extra features I need. Specifically, I need to develop module to calculate the weighted average of the activities. Something like:

First Activity (grade between 0-20) - 30% of final grade
Second Activity (grade between 0-20) - 30% of final grade
Third Activity (grade between 0-20) - 40% of final grade
Final grade result (grade between 0-20) = FA*0.30 + SA*0.3 + TA*0.40

Apologies for the long run, but I'm still struggling to dive in Moodle world and I'm getting all the help I can get.
Thanks in advance,
Emanuel

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
It is a really bad idea to do major grades related work in Moodle 1.8.

Everything changed in Moodle 1.9, so when you upgrade, your work will have to be redone, and doing things with grades in 1.9 is much easier than in previous versions.
In reply to Tim Hunt

by Emanuel Delgado -
I know that, but this is an urgent matter concerning a client and there is no prevision for the migration to 1.9 (even not knowing release date).

ED

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
I thought there would probably be a constraint like that. You have my sympathy. I don't think there was much documentation for the gradebook in 1.8 and before. You will just have to look at the code for the gradebook in 1.8 and see how it interacts with the different modules. Also, it may help you to look a the 3rd party certificate module. http://moodle.org/mod/data/view.php?d=13&rid=684. Try to find a version of it corresponding to Moodle 1.8.
In reply to Tim Hunt

by Emanuel Delgado -
I'll have a look on the certificate module and gradebook. Thanks for your help.

ED

by Anthony Borrow -
It is still not clear to me what this module does or how the user interacts with it. Feel free to Moodle message me and I will try to help you out as much as I can. Peace - Anthony

by Anthony Borrow -
Emanuel - Rather than thinking of an activity - it sounds like your first activity would be in a category weighted at 30%, a second activity in another category weighted at 30% and a third activity in a third category weighted at 40%. I'm still not sure what the module would do for you? If needed, I would just work on patching what is there but thus far I do not see that you need anything that is not already available. Peace - Anthony