Enroled specific group of students to a course

Enroled specific group of students to a course

by Yang Joann -
Number of replies: 6

Dear All:

I'm not sure if I post in the right forum! Please do help!!!

Now we are using LDAP as user authentication.

Will that be possible to set a group of students enrol in let say "ABC" course automatically and do not need to type course password. Moreover, for the rest of students who registered or have LDAP account from my site CANNOT get into the "ABC" course!

Thank you very much for your help!!!

Joann

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Yang Joann

Re: Enroled specific group of students to a course

by Holly Rae Bemis-Schurtz -
Hello Joann, I don't know too much about this question but I think it is a very good question to ask.

Here's a page on the Moodle Docs where I found some good information on LDAP and course settings, I'm not sure if it works with groups but if you haven't seen this yet it might be a good resource.

Hope you get this figured out! Have a great holiday season.
~H.blush
In reply to Holly Rae Bemis-Schurtz

回應: Re: Enroled specific group of students to a course

by Yang Joann -

Thank you very much for the information, it looks useful!!!

But one more question, once we set this up. Can students still join class without assigned into the moodle ldap group?
Or every students need to be assigned through moodle ldap group before taking any class?

Thank you!!!

Joann

In reply to Yang Joann

Re: 回應: Re: Enroled specific group of students to a course

by Iñaki Arenaza -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

In addition to enrolling users via LDAP groups, you can enrol them manually too. And if your courses are open (you can set this via course settings), then anyone can enrol herself/himself as usual.

Saludos. Iñaki.

In reply to Iñaki Arenaza

回應: Re: 回應: Re: Enroled specific group of students to a course

by Yang Joann -

Dear Saludos.

Thank you for your information!

I want to make sure I get this right. What you mentioned early "if your courses are open.....", does it mean I set my course to "Allow guests without the key", then anyone can enrol as usual, but if I set "Do not allow guests in", which mean I have to use LDAP group to enrol, or it doesn't matter.

Did I get it all right?

Thank you for your time....

Joann

In reply to Yang Joann

Re: 回應: Re: 回應: Re: Enroled specific group of students to a course

by Iñaki Arenaza -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

No, I wasn't talking about guests. I was talking about registered users.

Guests are treated separately. They can enter the course, have a look around, etc. But they are not enroled into the course. They can't submit taks, take quizzes, and so on.

On the othe hand, registered users can enrol themselves into the course if:

a) you have configured the course as enrollable, b) there is no enrolment key c) you are using the internal enrolment plugin as the self-enrolment plugin for that course.

All of this is configurable via the course settings, as shown in the image below.

Saludos. Iñaki.

Attachment enrol.png
In reply to Iñaki Arenaza

回應: Re: 回應: Re: 回應: Re: Enroled specific group of students to a course

by Yang Joann -

Dear Arenaza:

Thank you again, I understand what you said from pre-message. However, after I set up LDAP enrolment, why student still get into the page with the message of "You are about to enrol yourself as a member of this course. Are you sure you wish to do this?" It looks not right to me, since I already enroled the student via LDAP function. Do you have any idea, what did I do it wrong?

Joann