Need help on which feature to use

Need help on which feature to use

by Lee Cosner -
Number of replies: 4

I'm preparing to have my students fill out a datavase of sorts.  The will be 30 specific measurements that they will be taking that will pertain to just them.  I would really like to keep this private for each student.  I'm not sure what to use which is why I'm posting it here. 

I can see the database use, but can it be private per student?

I an also see using assignment (could be offline) also but not sure of the easiest way. 

Basically they will be filling out a form.  They may need to make changes and could receive comments from the instructor. The key is privacy.  Grading is not really an issue.

Ideas??

Thanks loads,

Lee

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Lee Cosner

Re: Need help on which feature to use

by Steve Hyndman -

Set-up a database where entries require approval, but don't approve them when submitted. That way, only you (teacher) and the student who submits them will be able to view them.

Note: This works in version 1.6....don't know if it will work in later versions.

Steve

Average of ratings: Useful (2)
In reply to Lee Cosner

by Lesli Smith -
Hi, Lee. If the measurements just pertain to each student individually, I'm not sure why the database would be necessary. For form type assignments, I usually find the upload assignment handy. I create the template and put a link to it (it's stored in my course files) in my directions for the assignment; then I set it so that students can resubmit if I want them to be able to revise. This then ensures that all students will be using the same doc type, too.

In the event that not every student has access to or ability to use, say MSWord, I have also experimented with using the advanced upload, allow notes feature available in 1.8 (and perhaps in 1.7--I skipped from 1.6 to 1.8 so am unfamiliar with 1.7). This assignment type gives students the option to copy/paste into the notes area or upload the doc as they are able. The only snag I've run into with this mode is that students have prematurely hit "submit for grade" and then can no longer submit uploaded revisions or notes. If the upload using different software types issue sounds as if it might be an issue for your students, the copy/paste into the online assignment box works well, too.

Each type of assignment has the ability for instructors to give detailed feedback that is private between instructor and student. The only reason I could see the database being handy would be if you did an assignment that started out as a private assignment, but then you wanted to be able to have students publish finished products in the end for a kind of group study guide or something of the sort. In any case, if privacy is key, I would use the assignment over the database.

If you have a little more time to devote to it on the front end, the lesson is also a good way to go to set up worksheet type assignments that have components that build upon one another. It does take some time to learn how to do lessons, though, so if you are on a time crunch, I would use the assignment module. Hope this helps,

Lesli

In reply to Lesli Smith

by Lee Cosner -

Hi Lesli,

Thanks for your thoughts.  Privacy in this case is a major issue and I doubt that all would have word or excel.  (No grading will be done)  I have 1.8+ but not sure what you mean by the "notes" feature.  Ideally they can fill this in on line and then when it is looked at by the instructor there is a good chance that it will be changed.  I have no problem with them downloading it but then they would need to fill it in online also.  I'm sure they want to save the copy.  The format is what I'm worried about..I need one that is fairly standard on everyone's computer.

Guess I may have to play with that. Any ideas?

Thanks

Lee

In reply to Lee Cosner

by Lesli Smith -
Okay. Good to know that privacy is most important in this question.

Option 1: The Online Assignment (Not very elegant, but good if it needs to be done by tomorrow and you don't have any time to play with a complicated module.)

I'm not sure if your assignment fits this need, but I have posted study guide questions in the online assignment description and had students copy/paste the guide into their answer boxes. Then they answer them inline with the questions. This option also allows for inline comments from the instructor and for resubmission beyond the deadline.

Option 2: The Lesson Module
If you have A LOT more time to play with settings and pagination, the lesson module is excellent for developing a layered activity. You could use the essay question page option to set up each question or set of questions (essay allows for variable answers, whereas short answer is very prescribed according to what you set as the correct answer). Then in the middle, you could have directional jump markers (ie. everyone whose plants measured 4 inches would go to ____________, whereas those whose plants only measured 2 inches must've missed a step and/or were part of your control group and would go to page ______________ for the next set of questions). I'm sorry I can't give more specifics at this time, but the lesson mod is pretty comprehensive and worth looking into if you have the time. If you choose this option and run into a snag, feel free to post back here at .org in the lesson mod forum and I'm sure you will be helped right away. You may of course contact me, too, directly if you run into issues.

Hope this makes sense and helps. Ohh--I haven't tried the essay in lesson, but I think it also allows instructors to give specified feedback. Best,

Lesli