General developer forum

CVS for Low-Life persons...

Picture of Antony OSullivan

I gather from a quick search that CVS has changed for developers... but I am wondering what has changed for "us" Low-Life persons...

I have a script like:

echo "Login..."
      echo "--------"
      /usr/bin/cvs -d:pserver:anonymous@uk.cvs.moodle.org:/cvsroot/moodle login

echo "Moodle 1.9DEV changes..."
      echo "------------------------"
      /usr/bin/cvs -q -z3 -d:pserver:anonymous@uk.cvs.moodle.org:/cvsroot/moodle co moodle

echo "Contrib changes..."
      echo "------------------"
      /usr/bin/cvs -q -z3 -d:pserver:anonymous@uk.cvs.moodle.org:/cvsroot/moodle co contrib

When I run it...

• the Login bit works...
  • the 1.9Dev bit works (well it was until I started doing this post!)...
  • but the Contrib bit does not, it bombs out very quickly (or there have been no Contrib changes for 3 days and I am panicing too much)...

The results are:

Moodle 1.9DEV changes...
------------------------
cvs checkout: cannot open directory /cvsroot/moodle/moodle/.settings: No such file or directory
cvs checkout: skipping directory moodle/.settings

Contrib changes...
------------------
cvs checkout: cannot open directory /cvsroot/moodle/contrib/CVSROOT: No such file or directory
cvs checkout: skipping directory contrib/CVSROOT

Am I doing something wrong?

Ajos1

Average of ratings: -
Re: CVS for Low-Life persons...

I am going to leave the original question in case someone else thinks about asking the same silly question...

Basically I deleted my "moodle" and "contrib" directories... and re-ran the cvs download.

Now there are no error messages... it must be a problem with my old copy of the CVS (from the SourceForge days) and the newer system.

Now I have swept out the old... started again from scratch... it is working fine-o.

Dan at desk in Moodle HQ, Perth
Core developersMoodle Course Creator Certificate holdersMoodle HQPlugin developersTesters

Antony

I run the UK mirror and it may well be my problem, I'm afraid to say I didn't test contrib very much after the move.

Unfortunately [for you (tongueout)] I am taking a break from UK weather in the canary islands for the next week and can't investigate this. But if you find a problem and file a bug in the tracker i'll try and deal with it when I get back wink. In the meantime, try one of the other mirrors and see you find the problem with them?

Panic not... I think it might be just the CVS program on my servers trying to find files (that are in my older files)... that are no longer on the newer CVS system... and crashing out...   (I notice that they were files/directories that started with "." - hidden files/directories).

I tried both the uk and es cvs systems...

Best solution is for people to delete their old files and then re-sync with the new CVS from scratch.

One poor developer...
Core developersDocumentation writersMoodle HQParticularly helpful MoodlersPlugin developersTesters
Hi Antony,

just to confirm you that both the:

- /moodle/.settings
- /contrib/CVSROOT

were old mistakes in sourceforge server and we decided to delete them in the new CVS server.

So it's safe to delete both in your local working directory (I saw that you checked out the WHOLE thing, apologizes for not being enough fast to reply here).

Ciao smile

Interesting...

I wonder if the new CVS mirrors... do not deal with extra files/directories that exist on our local copies that should not exist any more...

(ie) The old files/directories on the local system are not auto deleted when they are not on the CVS mirrors any more... (I will keep an eye out when this should happen in the future).