Files area for students (for presentations, portfolios etc)

Re: Files area for students (for presentations, portfolios etc)

by Kevin Heneveld -
Number of replies: 0

Sounds great!

A module like this, properly (flexibly is probably a better word) implemented, would go a long way toward meeting our district's needs.

Although I've discussed some of this with you, Martin, via email, let me give a quick rundown on our plans for Moodle for the other forum readers - they may have some valuable insight:

We are a K12 school district (About 35 separate locations on an internal WAN). We are implementing a customized version of Moodle as our "FILE" (Fairbanks Integrated Learning Environment) System district-wide (rolling out in high schools next year). This will be focussed almost exclusively on classroom-based learning with the added bonus of allowing teachers and students to also access work/assignments from home.

All our staff and student accounts will be auto-managed by our current staff/student databases which will also handle the creation and enrollment of students in their courses (so the teachers need only create assignments in their courses - if they wish to use that feature).  Because this will be a closed system (you cannot enroll yourself or create new courses) the first page people will see is the login page.  From there they will have access to all district resources that their profile dictates (teacher, student, parent, etc.)

The central aim of FILE will be as a hand-in/hand-out facilitation mechanism. So having a centralized, student-managed, teacher-accessable storage area would go a long way toward replacing our current building-based fileserver w/drop-box-hand-in folders scenario.

For a student to be able to keep working copies of their documents on the Moodle server for editing at school and home would be great (esp. with WebDav support biggrin.gif). One of the issues we are dealing with is that we don't want the teachers to have to create an assignment just to give the students the ability to hand something in to them. We'd like a teacher- or course-based, catch-all hand-in function, with no time-limits or due-dates.

Of course, we would like teachers to create assignments online with due dates and everything so that students (and eventually parents) will be able to pull up their calendars and see exactly what is due when, etc.  But to address the needs of the lowest common denominator, so to speak, the simpler the "default" implementation is for teachers initially, the better received this system will be.  Believe it or not, we have some teachers who are not interested in learning new things, so this has to be drop-dead-simple for them right out of the gate. (i.e. Tell the students to hand in their homework and then go to the teacher's hand-in web page and download the resulting files for grading).  Most of our teachers should be able to handle that with a minimum of training.

Anyway, as I said before, the primary, underlying function of Moodle for us will be the hand-in/hand-out feature (even if we have to write it in-house) - with the added bonuses of online quizzes, diaries, discussion forums, etc. for the less tech-phobic of our teachers. wink.gif  And, we feel confident, that as soon as they realize the power and flexibility of Moodle, some of them will be taking it places we never thought of.

Any idea on time-frame for this, and does your planned module fit this sort of convoluted use, or should we begin working on an in-house version?  I'd really rather not re-invent the wheel here if possible mixed.gif  Also, if there is anything in particular we can help with on this, please let me know.  This summer, I'm going to be a coding fool biggrin.gif