Sending email to whole site

Sending email to whole site

by Manuel de la Torre -
Number of replies: 6
Hi,

We will have some major upgrade on our Moodle site in a few days, and I will like to send an email to every registered user using Moodle, informing of this changes. Does any one knows if it is possible?

met.
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Manuel de la Torre

Re: Sending email to whole site

by Steve Hyndman -

Create a course, enroll everyone in it, create a forum with forced subscription, post the notice in the forum. When you're done and you're sure the cron has run...delete the course if you no longer need it.

Steve

by Jon Bolton -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers

Or just send a message from your Site News Forum (making sure that've forced everyone to be subscribed).

On my site, I actually have a special site-wide forum dedicated for such announcements as well as the 'Site News' forum. Everyone is 'forced to be subscribed' and I use it for ad-hoc low frequency announcements about scheduled maintenance, known problems, etc.

In reply to Jon Bolton

by Manuel de la Torre -
Thank you for your answers. Jon, when you post a message into the Site News Forum is it emailed to everybody. I am using Moodle 1.8.3+ and when I do that, even though everybody is subscribed my users don't get the email.

Thanks.

Met.

by Jon Bolton -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers

Ah, well that's a different issue wink

Ok, a number of variables here... the answer could depend on which version you are using, which operating system you have, whether cron is running, etc.

Is it just the Site News forum, or does it also happen with other forums?

If it does happen with all forums, then it's a bigger issue.

If it's just the Site News Forum, at a guess I'd say it was a problem with your 'front page roles' in 1.7 or 1.8. It's much simpler in 1.9 - but in 1.7/1.8, you need to allow students to take part in front page activities, which the Site News Forum is.

Have a look at the following links, which may be of help:

In reply to Jon Bolton

by John Isner -
Posting to site news is normally the right way to do it, but until bug MDL-9584 is fixed, you'll need a workaround -- like Steve's method.