Linking grades to outside software

Linking grades to outside software

by Mark Miller -
Number of replies: 1
I'm running Moodle 1.8 on a linux box.

I want students to take their tests, submit their papers, etc as normal. I want to capture all the data to do the item analysis. But when students select the gradebook to see individual grades, I want to route them to our School Management Software (Powerschool). Not all their grades come from Moodle activities and Moodle doesn't reflect the weights assigned to different assignments.

Is there a way for my administrator to "redirect" the grade book query so that it links to the Powerschool server?

Tnx

Mark Miller
Noblesville Indiana
In reply to Mark Miller

Re: Linking grades to outside software

by Anthony Borrow -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Mark,

My apologies for the delayed response. Yes, there is a way for your administrator to change the link for the gradebook when a student is looking at it; however, it would effect every course on your Moodle site and it would be a custom change. However, the advantage might be that your administrator could work out a single sign in or a customized link for each student to facilitate the process of getting to their grades.

I think what I would recommend doing is creating a link to the PowerSchool site at the top of your course. I wanted my students to see all of their grades through Moodle so I created a lot of offline assignments. I setup categories and weighted them accordingly so that they could see through Moodle their current average. Since Moodle was my primary gradebook, I would tell students that when progress reports went out that if they had managed to make up work that they could show their parents the Moodle grade to prove that they had completed the work. It was a little extra work for me but I felt that it was worth it.

Let me know if you have any questions or need more information.

Peace - Anthony