Group members cannot see "Latest News"

Group members cannot see "Latest News"

by Sean Collins -
Number of replies: 3
Hello.

I need someone to confirm that News Forum posts are only viewable to non-grouped registrants...unless the post(s) are group-specific.

Teaching three science courses to 200 students in nine separate sections[groups] I, on occasion, need to make program-wide announcements and, more often, course-wide announcements.

I currently use Visible Groups/Not Forced.

I have been following the threads on Super Groups as well and see in the Bug tracker (ID 1160) that this broadcast ability or something similar is a proposed feature request. Just the same, does anyone else take issue with this and/ or have suggestions?

A simple confirmation will suffice.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Sean Collins

Re: Group members cannot see "Latest News"

by Hitio Barnitone -
Yes, i have the same problem with the news...
I use Moodle 1.3.1, separate groups / Forced
In reply to Sean Collins

by Gustav W Delius -

I always keep my main news forum in "no groups" mode (the single person icon shows next to it when editing is turned on). That way all students in all groups get the news. I have a separate forum for group-specific news and that forum is set to "visible groups" or "separate groups". In the case of "visible groups" members of all groups can see the posts but only those in a specific group will get the mailing. All this of course only works if you do not choose "forced" at course level.

In reply to Gustav W Delius

by Sean Collins -
Yes. That is how I had it set up originally (and frankly, currently). It was only after logging in under an alias assigned to a group and another (unassigned) that I noticed anything.

Well then, something IS fishy here, as I have it set to 'Visible' / Not forced and posting to the main news forum (no groups/single person icon) renders nothing when I log in as either my (assigned) alias or any number of students.