Moodle and those Sakai Work Sites: Need Feedback ASAP

Moodle and those Sakai Work Sites: Need Feedback ASAP

by Matt Albert -
Number of replies: 2
As the subject suggests the University I am working with is looking at both Sakai and Moodle. I am firmly in the Moodle camp and need to keep coming up with solutions and reasons to go with Moodle. One major sticking point that the folks here really like about Sakai is those Project Sites. It seems to me that the same thing can be done in Moodle as it really is just a matter of semantics. A class site can essentially serve as a "work site" because they posses the same functions. Is there anyone out there that is doing this? In general is there any one out there that is using Moodle in a non-standard class page way? While I recognize that this site alone can support my argument any and all firepower that I can put behind this would be great. Again, any feedback to support my argument for Moodle would be highly appreciated. Thanks! smile
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Matt Albert

Re: Moodle and those Sakai Work Sites: Need Feedback ASAP

by Michael Penney -
Hi Matt, we used to do this all the time at Humboldt State- we had sites for clubs, surveys, departments, committees, etc.

The main thing was the business process- who can set up a site? We used to have a request process whereby non-course sites could be set up--mainly that was because at Cal State, we needed to have a staff or faculty who would take responsibility for student and community sites. You could create a Moodle role that can set up new sites, or add that capability to a role (set Create courses to allow for that role - you could set it to allow for a Category and call that category "Project Sites").

You could also use course requests to enable this if you want to have an approval process for new project sties.

What are some of the use cases where you would be using project sites? For example, looking at the Sakai Project sites slide show here:

http://bugs.sakaiproject.org/confluence/pages/viewpageattachments.action?pageId=18135

We did everything listed in their set of use cases (faculty collaboration sites, departmental sites, student club sites) using Moodle at HSU (since 2003smile, and many of our current clients at Moodlerooms use Moodle 'courses' for ad hoc and extramural groups. There is also Moodle.org itself, of course, I think most of the 'courses' here are more like project sites than traditional courseswink.

In reply to Michael Penney

Re: Moodle and those Sakai Work Sites: Need Feedback ASAP

by Matt Albert -
Thanks for the response and the ideas. I created a category for Project SItes and went from there. I have been spending some time with this and thanks to your flexpage it has come out very nice. approve