Cannot See Grades

Cannot See Grades

by rosemarie mccarthy -
Number of replies: 5

Hi

I am unable to view user grades as an admin. I have been trying to resolve this issue for ages now, I have read alot of forums but i have not come to any resolution.

When I am in a course I try to view grades. I only get a blank page. Does anyone have any ideas as to why this might be.

I am running moodle version 1.8, php 5.2., apache 2.2 and sql server.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to rosemarie mccarthy

Re: Cannot See Grades

by Anthony Borrow -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Rosemarie - Usually a blank page indicates that some type of PHP error has occured while generating the page. Turning on debugging (admin - debugging - all (not developer)) usually helps to isolate the problem. I would recommend getting and installing the latest 1.8+ version of the Moodle code. I know that there have been a number of small but fairly significant fixes to the 1.8 gradebook so it is a good idea to have the latest code. Also, just to be verify - are you using the standard Moodle gradebook (not GBPv2 - gradebookplus version 2)? Peace - Anthony
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Anthony Borrow

by rosemarie mccarthy -
Hi Anthony,
I have turned on dubugging and I have moved from 1.8.2+ to 1.8.3+
I moved to sql 2005 also.

The issue is still happening. I cannot seem to get to the botttom of this at all.
I am using the standard gradebook I have not included any plugins for gradebookplus version 2.

With debugging turned on there is no messages being printed out.
Which I find strange.
I do know there is a large amounts of grades (about 10,000)
This is a moodle site that has been inoperation for a good few years.
It was previously working on linux (with mysql) but after the move to windows this no longer seems to be working.
Also the web and the database are on different machines. I am using odbc with ms msql

Is there anything else that I can try.

Again any suggestions appreciated.

by Anthony Borrow -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Rosemarie - I'm sorry to hear you are still having problems. It is strange that it is not working. What is the default group setting for the course (no groups, visible, or separate?). The reason I ask is that I recall an issue (MDL-10523) having to do with groups not showing but it was not reported that the gradebook was not showing anything. Nevertheless, it may be worth a shot. Make sure you have that patch applied as it may be impacting something else. I would also be interested in seeing the results of your phpinfo page. Perhaps you could upload a copy just to make sure that everything is OK. It is unusual that you have access to the database to login and move around but that just the gradebook is affected. It definitely sounds like a bug and possibly being related to a SELECT DISTINCT that is not working or causing a problem. Unfortunately, I do not have access to a MSSQL database to test it on so we may have to rely on other MSSQL users who have experience with that to give us some ideas. Peace - Anthony
In reply to Anthony Borrow

by rosemarie mccarthy -
Hi - This site has no groups, The 'default group setting' is this a setting somewhere or have I just answered your question.
What patch are you referring to?
I have attached my php info file.
Thanks for your time on this.

by Tim Rhymer -

I have this same problem, as I have seen the size of a particular class grow (up to around 466 users), the gradebook has taken longer and longer to load. That is to be expected.

So about 466 grades are what the gradebook would be pulling for this particular course.

My guess is that it is a timeout issue or something to do with the larger amounts of data, because our other courses which were test courses have only 20 - 30 users enrolled, and they show the grades fine.

I am also in a windows environment, but using sql server 2000. Also, we are using moodle 1.8.2

UPDATE
Temporary fix:
I temporarily resolved this issue by changing a variable in the php.ini.

I increased max_execution_time to 120

The amount of time you will need to increase this number is going to be purely dependent on the number of grades you are expecting. So i would aim high while testing.

I am not sure what kind of vulnerabilities or consequences setting this number high will result in. Maybe someone else can comment on that. For now its a reasonable fix for us.