Seems like moodle.org could use a bona fide, procedural/step-by-step, and reviewed (by all the Moodle powers that be) moving-server procedure---hopefully one that can last through Moodle revision updates. Anybody care to make one? I'll start with these highlights. Feel free to amend as needed if I made a mistaken. (If I *did* make a mistake, please let me know ASAP, because I just moved a server using this procedure...except for the email and cron setup, which I have yet to do.)
I hope to see a moving procedure soon so that I can point my lieutenant admins at it later as my "moodle universe" grows for my associate base (include potential partner/customer companies of mine).
If a "blessed" moving procedure is made, care to add the link to it on this forum?
Proposed Moodle site moving procedure:
* Take your moodle site offline
* Do a database backup/restore of/to your original/new server
(best tutorial on the web I saw--and there were many that were poor, mostly because they rarely cover the procedure to move an _entire_ database *and* restore it: http://builder.com.com/5100-6388-5259660.html
...but it lacks the important description of "mysql --quote-names" option, which is needed when backing up entire database that has table names with data-structure member names like "table"...just like some revs of phpmyadmin has. My favorite mysqldump command: "./mysqldump -uroot --quote-names --opt --all-databases")
* The database backup/restore needs to at least cover your moodle database
* Copy the original server "moodle" directory (and all of it's "children") to the new server; alternatively, download
and install a new moodle software set
* Copy the original server moodle "data" directory (and all of it's "children") to the new server
* Make changes to web server configuration (eg apache/conf/httpd.conf) as per http://moodle.org/doc/?file=install.html
* Make changes to php configuration (eg php/php.ini) as per http://moodle.org/doc/?file=install.html
* Make changes to moodle/config.php as per http://moodle.org/doc/?file=install.html
* Make sure your new outbound-email setup (SMTP
, sendmail, whatever) is working properly
* Make any necessary changes to Moodle online configuration (as per http://yoursite.org/moodle/admin
), particularly for any new email setup.
* Make sure your cron stuff is running as per http://moodle.org/doc/?file=install.html
* Test the new setup.
* If not problems with any user/admin scenarios, Move Complete.