Private Student File Areas/Forums

Private Student File Areas/Forums

by Howard Miller -
Number of replies: 12
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
Is there any way in Moodle to have a private file store or indeed forum for an individual student's use?

Our thinking is that we would like to give the students the opportunity to make notes online and to answer short assignments online and to store the results within the system for their future reference.

Any general thoughts on how this can be acheived?

Thanks
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Howard Miller

Re: Private Student File Areas/Forums

by Sean Keogh -
Journals!

Unless by "private" you mean that you don't want tutors to be able to see it either. Otherwise Journals are what you need...online notes and short assignments are what they're for, really.

I am using them in a small course I'm developing for one of our teaching teams. Very useful.

Of course this only relates to textual material. If you want the students to be able to store and access other file types then I don't think it is currently possible with moodle. Personally I wouldn't want them to...I don't know what your students are like but I'm pretty sure a lot of our student moodle accounts would then start to fill up with pROn and pirated music, etc smile

Sean K

by Laurence Vanniekerk -
I make use of the Journals for this purpose, however I have found that creating a separate journal for each question makes it easier for assessment purposes, and provides for feedback and rating of each question individually.
In reply to Laurence Vanniekerk

by Sean Keogh -
yup, that's exactly what I have done with this new course.

by Alan Chambers -

We are investigating the use of a private messenger system - similar to email 'cept no ability to mail out of the system ie to a mail@isp.com etc can only communicate with moodle members, and no attachments. messages are stored on server so student could access them anytime. Simple install , good code

http://www.ggweb.co.uk/messenger/

by David Mudrák -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Plugins guardians Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
This could be feature of Moodle module "ePortfolio", but it is not implemented yet (and I'm not sure it is expected in the future). There should be a post about portfolio module somewhere in these forums.
In reply to David Mudrák

by Martin Dougiamas -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
The definitive list of new features is in the bug tracker (I know the tracker interface isn't the best - this will be one of the first things I fix in July).

Relevant 'bugs' to portfolios are:

http://moodle.org/bugs/bug.php?op=show&bugid=140
http://moodle.org/bugs/bug.php?op=show&bugid=250
In reply to Martin Dougiamas

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
I am paid to develop software for online education and having experience as PHP developer, I am happy to expend some effort in extending the portfolio area if there is a demand and/or nobody else is doing the same thing at the moment.

It makes more sense to me to develop additional features for moodle, than to spend my time on one-off stuff for my own institution.

Suppose this is realy a matter for the development forum, if I'm taking it forward.

Comments appreciated!

by Art Lader -
I have been following this thread and hope that a presentation/portfolio module will be developed for Moodle... It would be great for our German students.

Following this thread (and the two "bugs" Martin cited above) makes me realize that I have not been making the most of Moodle's capabilities.

And I was so proud...
In reply to David Mudrák

by Charles Elliott -

I'll admit I am not the expert in Moodle, yet, but the eportfolio is something we will use in our project.  What about the possibility of developing the eportfolio as an add-on for the moodle cms.  We are using the postnuke system as a portal entry for our project and have comtemplated using a number of other add-ons to create the type of learning environment that we are looking for.  

One option we have looked at is linking to the classroom web site development tools in myschoolonline.  This option is certainly not the seamless appearance that we want, but it may create another alternative for others.

I am all for the eportfolio as an optional component within moodle... 

Private Student File Areas/Forums bypass

by David Mudrák -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Plugins guardians Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Possible solution may be in creating course for each student (for example in category Portfolios), where students become teachers in ordinary course sense.
Then students can control their files uploading, their own resources, their own notes (journals) etc.
But this is the bypass before ePortfolio will be fully implemented.

Have a lot of moodle