Force students to answer all questions?

Force students to answer all questions?

by Rogério Mauad -
Number of replies: 12
Hello everybody,

I've been wondering if there is a workaround to force students to answer all questions in a quiz before they are able to submit it. Is this possible to be done? Does anyone know a way to do this?

Thanks a lot!

Rogério
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Rogério Mauad

Re: Force students to answer all questions?

by Joseph Rézeau -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Hello Rogério,
I don't know if there is a way to do this, but I do not think it's a good idea to force a student to answer a question if they don't know the answer. May I ask how you would justify this from a pedagogical point of view?
Joseph
In reply to Joseph Rézeau

by Rogério Mauad -
Hi Joseph,

Thanks for your answer. In fact, this is going to be an ungraded quiz used to evaluate a course which is almost finished. We are struggling to convince a couple of teachers who insist that all questions in this quiz should be answered so they can have more data for a "statistical analysis" of the course...

*sighs*

Rogério
In reply to Rogério Mauad

by Joseph Rézeau -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

I understand better. But then, for a course evaluation what you need is not the Quiz module but either the Feedback or the Questionnaire module. Unfortunately neither of those modules is part of the regular Moodle distribution, you will find them in the Modules and Plugins database.

Joseph

by Sherry Brown -
Joseph --

Assessing a student's understanding (or naive understanding) would be one reason. In physics education research, a pre-test/post-test called the Force Concept Inventory (scroll down the page for references), reveals the student's misconceptions about Newtonian Mechanics. Each incorrect answer reveals how a student is thinking about that particular facet of mechanics.

Other tests for other scientific and mathematical areas have been developed (astronomy, chemistry, algebra, et cetera). These are not meant to be summative assessments of the student but if a student is allowed to pass over questions, we lose the opportunity to collect the data. In turn, we lose the opportunity to improve our teaching and our students' learning.

-- Sherry

by John Isner -
Hi Joseph,

You said

I do not think it's a good idea to force a student to answer a question if they don't know the answer

I think i depends on how the questions are designed. For example, suppose one of the choices in a MCQ was "I don't know the answer." Then requiring the student to answer would make sense.
In reply to John Isner

by Joseph Rézeau -
Of course, John.wink

by unformatted :) -
Hi!

It´s possible to disable the submit button in each question?

I only wan a sumbit all quiz in the bottom.

thanks smile

by Just H -
Hi Joseph

"...but I do not think it's a good idea to force a student to answer a question if they don't know the answer. May I ask how you would justify this from a pedagogical point of view?"

In my situation it's not really about forcing a person to answer a question as such, it's more about letting the person know they have missed a question. We have a skills maintenance module that culminates in an assessment where the person is allowed 3 attempts but needs to get 100% for renewal of accreditation (bear in mind this is skills maintenance i.e. the person had originally attended a face to face course for initial accreditation). Unfortunately, we've had a few that end up "failing" due to carelessness in completing the assessment rather than lack of knowledge.

So for me, the resolution of the original question would help although would probably tweak it so that it's more of a warning e.g. "You have not answered questions 3 and 5. Do you really want to submit your answers?"

Regards
H
In reply to Just H

by Joseph Rézeau -
Harry,
I quite agree with your reasons. You are reasoning in terms of using a quiz for testing/exam/certification purposes, whereas I mostly use quizzes as a learning activity, hence my wish not to impose answering questions at all cost.
Happy New Year,
Joseph

by Just H -
Bonne Année ! Joseph

Totally agree with your reasoning in that scenario, which is why I'd prefer it to be just a warning smile

BTW just started having a look at Questionnaire, you and Mike are doing great work there, thank you.

Regards
H