backup of single quiz includes all questions in database - bug or feature?

backup of single quiz includes all questions in database - bug or feature?

by Przemyslaw Stencel -
Number of replies: 4
Hi,

I've tried to make a backup of individual quizzes, but noticed that no matter how many (or how few) quizzes I back up, the backup includes all questions from the question bank. So, in an extreme case, if I back up a single quiz, and then restore it to another course, I unintentionally transfer hundreds of questions along with this quiz

This seems like a bug, but maybe there is a reason for this behaviour... Could someone tell me - is this a bug, or a feature? If it's a bug, I'll report it in the tracker.

Cheers,
Przemek

PS
I'm using 1.9 Beta 2 (2007101503)
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Przemyslaw Stencel

Ang: backup of single quiz includes all questions in database - bug or feature?

by Morten Brydensholt -

I have this problem with 1.8.3 also when I import quizzes from other courses (which I understand is part of the backup and restore function).

Somehow I got the impression that this 'feature' - which I consider a major 'bug' - was resolved in 1.9.

So this is really bad news.

The feature of this pathological behaviour of the importing of quizzes is that quizzes with 'random questions' is still functioning.

However it makes importing quizzes a nightmare. Even the 'default category' is dublicated making it confusing to work with question categories.

I promised a lot of teachers who work together between high schools that they would be able to do the sharing easily as soon as the 1.9 was stable and ready for production.

Please do report it as a bug.

Best regards

Morten

In reply to Morten Brydensholt

Re: Ang: backup of single quiz includes all questions in database - bug or feature?

by Przemyslaw Stencel -
I have reported it - http://tracker.moodle.org/browse/MDL-12403

You are right about the quizzes with random questions - this might be the reason why the backup/import works like this. However, the same objective could be met if the import or backup of individual quizzes included not only questions associated with the quiz, but also any question categories which the quiz uses as the source of random questions. But it certainly shouldn't contain the whole question bank. Let's hope it gets fixed for 1.9 smile
In reply to Przemyslaw Stencel

Ang: Re: Ang: backup of single quiz includes all questions in database - bug or feature?

by Morten Brydensholt -

Przemyslaw,

Thanks - I voted for it.

Best regards

Morten

In reply to Morten Brydensholt

Re: Ang: Re: Ang: backup of single quiz includes all questions in database - bug or feature?

by Anil Sharma -
I've voted for it too , and added another subtask under it. If you try restoring quizzes between 1.8 and 1.9, it causes chaos.

There is another related discussion on this topic here :
http://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=80779

Hope it gets resolved soon