Comparisons and advocacy

Self Paced Courses

Picture of Karla Russell
Self Paced Courses

Does Moodle support self-paced learning? Our requirements are as follows:

1) Learners can self-enroll.
2) Time limits are enforced. A learner may have, for example, two weeks to complete the self-paced course after they have enrolled.
3) Learners must complete one module before moving on to the next. Example: this may require that a learner watch a specific video before they are allowed to mark that module or section as completed and go to the next module or section.

THANKS!

Karla

Average of ratings: -
Not a PHM :-)
Re: Self Paced Courses

Simple answer...No...not out-of-the box.

Longer answer...search around the forums for discussions about activity locking and score locking. I have the score locking working satisfactorily on one clients 1.6.5 site, but it takes a bit of work and since the site requires this feature, upgrades (to my knowledge) are not possible.

Steve

Picture of Karla Russell

Drat!

Thanks Steve. I appreciate your quick response.

Karla

Picture of Al Padkowsky

Items 1 and 2 - yes. For item three, here's a simplistic workaround: bury a email address in the back of the module. Instruct learners to email to that specific address that they completed the course. Have auto-responder at that specific address email send back the course enrollment key. The reason for "simplistic" is that there is no way to prevent unauthorized use of the module because you can't easily prevent students from sharing the key.

I'm using version 1.8.

Picture of Karla Russell

Interesting. Okay. I'll give that a whirl in our sandbox. Thanks Al!

Picture of Ana Martins

Hello Moodlers!

I have a similiar question...

The thing is, I have Category > Subcategory > 3 Courses, where Users can self-enroll.

Those 3 Courses are:

• Beginner
  • Advanced
  • Expert

What I want to do:

• User can self-enroll in "Beginner" >>> no special conditions needed
  • User cannot self-enroll in "Advanced" IF "Beginner" is has not been fully completed (grade over x%).
  • User cannot self-enroll in "Expert" IF "Advanced" is has not been fully completed (grade over x%).

Is this possible at all?

I've tried Cohorts but that doesn't really work for this...

Thank you for your help!