Block Titles ??

Block Titles ??

by Allison Brice -
Number of replies: 11

Hello, everyone.  I would like to change the titles appearing for the blocks.  For instance, the one that says "Site News", in our case should read "Class News".  Can anyone tell me where to go to change this?

I'm new to Moodle.  I only have experience with PostNuke.

Thanks!

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Allison Brice

Re: Block Titles ??

by Przemyslaw Stencel -

In lang/en/moodle.php file, change this line:

$string['sitenews'] = 'Site news';

into this:

$string['sitenews'] = 'Class news';

You can also modify any text in Moodle by logging in as an admin and going to Administration -> Configuration -> Language -> Compare and edit current language (your files must be chmodded to allow editing).

Hope this helps,
Przemek

In reply to Przemyslaw Stencel

by Allison Brice -
Thanks, that is exactly what I needed to know.  I appreciate the help.

by Allison Brice -

I tried both ways, updating the moodle file and FTP'ing it to the site, and through configuration.  I was logged in as Admin.  However, even though the file itself is changed, the change does not appear on the site.

The block title still says Site News instead of Class News.

Is there any other place I need to modify?  I've looked but don't see anything I can change pertaining to the title of the block.

by Dave Stacey -
I've hit the same problem. I can change the other block titles and text but for some reason 'site news' just refuses to accept that I've changed it in moodle.php!

Any ideas?
In reply to Dave Stacey

by Helen Foster -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Hi Dave,

It may well be because the words "Site news" are in another language file. Perhaps you could try searching?
In reply to Helen Foster

by Dave Stacey -
Hi Helen,

Yeah, I thought of that, and spent about 40 minutes going through the rest of the files to no success. Now I figure it's got to be there somewhere, but I can't find it!!

Has anyone actually managed to solve this yet?
In reply to Dave Stacey

by Kenny Chim -
Yeap, I also tried very hard to look for the way to change the titles of the block, however, I still can't figure out how to do it.  Does anyone manage to do it, pls help wink
In reply to Dave Stacey

by Julie Pichon -
I might be wrong, but it seems to me that the 'Site news' block takes its title from the 'Site news' forum, not the language file. So, if you click on 'Site news' in the Main menu then update the forum with the name you want, perhaps it would solve the problem?
In reply to Przemyslaw Stencel

Re: Block Titles ?? How to change??

by Dan Stark -
I am using the latest version of moodle Feb 2007 download..
Anyway I went to the area suggested..

In lang/en/moodle.php file,

to see if I could find the the script for the front page label.. "courses"

for the purpose of changing thislabel line: to read "Profiles"

I then read something about forum topics might be the place to find "site news".. would this hold true (forum topics) for the courses label also????

.. Does any one know how the Courses label can be changed??