Need to group grades

Need to group grades

by Christopher Molnar -
Number of replies: 3
Hello,

I teach at a Porter and Chester Institute and we are a vocational school with somewhat of a strange gradings system. I am wondering if there is any way to do this inside of Moodle or if I need to write an external report.

Our grades for each course are broken into:

Effort and Attitude
Practical (Shop)
Notebook
Quiz
Exam

These groups all are weighted differently:

Effort and Attitude is 20% of the students course grade
Practical (Shop) is 35% of the students course grade
Notebook is 15% of the students course grade
Quiz is 10% of the students course grade
Exam is 20% of the students course grade

I do not need to automagically have moodle combine them but I need to get an average for each category so I can input them back into our school's administrative system for transcripts.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
-Chris
cmolnar@porterchester.com

In reply to Christopher Molnar

Re: Need to group grades

by Brian Pool -
Sounds like you just need to create these categories and weigh them. By putting them into categories you will get the average of each on the "front page" of the gradebook. It will also then average the grade based on these weights. Try this...

1. Go to "Set Preferences" and select the "Show Advanced Features" button

2. Set the preferences for weighted grades. Basically you need to make sure the Letter Grade is set to "Use Weighted." I also show weighted grades and letter grades to everyone. The others I have off.

3. Go to the "Set Categories" tab and create the Effort and Attitude,Practical (Shop),Notebook,Quiz,Exam categories. If you use terms I would suggest making them 1- Effort and Attitude, 1 - Practical (Shop), 1- Notebook, 1 - Quiz, and 1- Exam for first quarter, 2-, 3-,4- for the other 4 quarters.

4. Go to set weights and set the weights that you indicated for each category. Click "Hidden" for any items you do not want in the current grades. This includes uncategorized and any ones for other grading terms.

5. You are GTG. Just make sure you put assignments in the correct category when you are ready to enter grades for them. I leave future assignments "Uncategorized" (not included since they are hidden) until I am entering grades.

Brian

In reply to Brian Pool

by Christopher Molnar -
I did this and the categories line up pretty well. Now, can I create quizzes and assign them to a category in the gradebook? For example can I create the mult-choice quiz online and assign to 1-Exams or 2- Quiz?

I looked and I can't find anyplace to put this in a category?

Thanks,
-Chris

In reply to Christopher Molnar

by Brian Pool -
Just go to the categories tab in the gradebook and you will see what category each item is assigned too.  Use the dropdown to assign the item to a specific category and press save at the bottom.