Embed Flash with config and controller files

Embed Flash with config and controller files

by John Hennessy -
Number of replies: 6
Hello. Single Flash files embed as expected using the Hot Potatoes module but not when there are additional controller and config files.
When the files are uploaded and the Hot Potatoes quiz produced, Flash controls are displayed but white space appears where the Flash movie is expected.

The embed looks like the following in the local file but SERVER/ shows where the HP module changes the link to absolute on upload. One reference seems to be unchanged: SERVER/
When that is changed manually (locally) and then uploaded the file still does not work

I hope this makes some kind of sense and wondered if this was a well known issue and if there is a way around? Thanks.

<object classid="clsid:D27CDB6E-AE6D-11cf-96B8-444553540000"codebase="http://download.macromedia.com/pub/shockwave/cabs/flash/swflash.cab#version=5,0,0,0" width="640" height="497" id="myMovieName">

<param name="movie" value="SERVER/lp3_mainmodes_snd22k_1_controller.swf?csConfigFile=SERVER/lp3_mainmodes_snd22k_1_config.xml">
<param name="quality" value="high">
<param name="bgcolor" value="#FFFFFF">
<param name="FlashVars" value="csConfigFile=SERVER/lp3_mainmodes_snd22k_1_config.xml"><br />

<embed src="SERVER/lp3_mainmodes_snd22k_1_controller.swf?csConfigFile=SERVER/lp3_mainmodes_snd22k_1_config.xml" FlashVars="csConfigFile=SERVER/lp3_mainmodes_snd22k_1_config.xml" quality=high bgcolor=#FFFFFF width=640 height=497 type="application/x-shockwave-flash" pluginspace="http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer"><br />
</embed>
</object>

Average of ratings: -
In reply to John Hennessy

Re: Embed Flash with config and controller files

by Gordon Bateson -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
If you change all the URLs to absolute URLs does it work (i) outside Moodle? (ii) via Moodle?

How did you generate the <object> tags you cited in your post?

Could you load the Flash-based media player and Hot Potatoes quiz onto my server, so I can have a look at it?
thanks
In reply to Gordon Bateson

by John Hennessy -
Hello Gordon. Thanks for your response.

I have tried to upload the example files to your server but they are large and exceed maximum execution time for upload. They are available here as a zip file.

I have set the relevant course for guest access with a key ds for the next few days if you would like to see the basic links in operation (right hand block: "Logger Pro main modes").

The object section for use with Hot Potatoes was obtained by simply copying the object section from the html file generated by Camtasia which links together the config, controller and swf files.

When uploaded to Moodle the original Flash files work outside HotPot when linked to the html file from Camtasia. Although the reference to the html file is absolute, all references within the file remain relative (the key point - these links should remain relative if the files are to work??)

Sorry for the bother but it would be very useful for us to get this working if at all possible.

by Gordon Bateson -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
Thanks for the link to the zip file John. I have uploaded the files to the server and added the HotPot to the course. As you say the player appears when the quiz is viewed as a resource, but when view as a Hotpot the player does not appear.

The last post on the following page makes me think that what you want to do might not be possible:
Remote location for Flash movie

But the following page offers hope:
How to embed Camtasia SWF files in WordPress

And this page has a solution (for something!) too:
Embedding Camtasia Video

If you have time, please investigate whether the above links apply to you.

I am off to a conference this weekend, so I won't be able to work on this any more just for now. Hopefully I can find some time next week.

all the best
Gordon
In reply to Gordon Bateson

by John Hennessy -
Thanks very much Gordon.

I've had a look at the references you suggested and I'll try looking into the config file.

Looks now much more of a Camtasia / Flash issue than HP / Moodle so may be a bit of a goose chase.

I can get around it with a link from the HP which loads the Flash into a new window.

All the best

by John Hennessy -
Sorry - last post on this ...

Tried uploading a file with all refs absolute. Works as HP from course files on the server but behaves as before when imported into HP activity. Tried absolute reference in config file as well but gave same result. Same behaviour when try to embed in a Quiz. Will look at other ways to get flexible controls but small filesize for screen recordings.

All the best

by John Hennessy -
Just to conclude, the latest version of Camtasia (5) and Captivate both produce nice single file swf including controls which embed easily.
Thanks for the help.