How weird!

How weird!

by Gary Newport -
Number of replies: 3

I have a webpage uploaded into my course files. I note that I have made a typo by entering in letters (I, K, E, L) where I need numbers (9, 11ci, 5, 12) and so the webpage gives unclear instructions (the ordered list is numerical initially).

Therefore I go into the files area and edit the file directly. However, when I save the changes and click on the link the page contents have not changed at all!

I therefore edit a local copy on my computer, delete the link in the lesson, then delete the file. I now upload the new version and recreate the link in the lesson.

On opening up the page I see the page as it was at the very start! No changes! If I view the source it shows the letters and not the numbers. If I display the page locally it is correct.

I presume this is down to caching of pages through the Internet but how weird (and annoying).

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Gary Newport

Re: How weird!

by John Isner -
It's a caching problem. Clear your browser cache and try again. You will see the changes.
In reply to John Isner

by Gary Newport -

I would have agreed; yet when I view the same web page in FireFox I see the same supposedly deleted text.

I have deleted Temp Files, browsing history, etc and still the same.

I check the page on Moodle with the editor and it shows the new page correctly and yet even if I recreate the resource again I see the old page.

Still weird clown

In reply to Gary Newport

by Joseph Rézeau -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

You could try giving your resource file a different name. I mean upload to your course files the resource file (I expect it's an HTML file) under a different name from the original file you had previously uploaded and deleted.

The browser caches are a nuisance. I keep emptying them all the time when I am developing in Moodle. I have installed the excellent FireFox Webdeveloper plugin, which amongst a host of utilities has an empty cache function (see attached screenshot) and I find it most useful. Oh, and of course, in either MSIE or FireFox, set the cache size to zero.

Joseph