Score recording problem

Score recording problem

by Glenys Hanson -
Number of replies: 8
Hello Gordon,

As far as I can see, the reason why the scores are not recorded is because there is a long wait (30-40 seconds) after an exercise is completed before scores are recorded in some Hot Potatoes exercises using modified source files. The students tend to leave the page before the wait is over and so the scores are not recorded.

The modification prevents the popup feedback box appearing and so it can't be dismissed. (The feedback appears in the Instruction field).

This problem only occurs on our Moodle 1.6.5 site - our production site. On other sites (1.5.4; 1.8.2; 1.8.3), the modified exercises based on the html file work normally (the exercises based on the xml files work too but all the modifications are lost). The unmodified exercise works on 1.6.5. The problem has only appeared in the last few weeks. In the past (in the spring) the modified exercises worked on 1.6.5 with no problem.

The exercise validates on the W3C validator.

Example exercises have been uploaded to your testing site where they work just fine:

Unmodified as regards the popup box:
Colours htm
colours jmt

Modified:
colours htm no box
colours jmt no box

The university site administrator, Simon Dupuich, has tried to download and install the most recent version of the HotPot module but gets the message that our version of Moodle is too old. Is there somewhere he can find the right HotPot module for 1.6.5 or do you have another suggestion for solving the problem?

Simon has written to the French forum about this problem but no one has answered. Simon feels his English is not good enough to write here but I'm sure he'll understand your reply better than I will.

All the best,
Glenys
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Glenys Hanson

Re: Score recording problem

by Gordon Bateson -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
Hi Glenys,

> there is a long wait (30-40 seconds)

I agree, this seems too long. Did you get a javascript error in the browser?

> The modification prevents the popup feedback box appearing

Sorry, what modification are we talking about?

> The problem has only appeared in the last few weeks.

Has something changed on the server? Maybe the database tables are filling up. It wouldn't hurt, and it may help, if you "optimize" the database tables.

> Example exercises have been uploaded to your testing site
> where they work just fine:

Thanks for trying that. It's good to know your exercises work there.

> The ... site administrator ... has tried
> to download and install the most recent version
> of the HotPot module but gets the message
> that our version of Moodle is too old.

Probably you are trying the HotPot module for the latest version of Moodle, which is currently Moodle 2.0. That is not what you want.

> Is there somewhere he can find the right HotPot module for 1.6.5

You can always get the latest version by downloading Moodle 1.6 from the CVS depository or from the following link:
You can also get the latest version of the HotPot module for Moodle 1.6 (and earlier) from my server, but I don't guarantee my server is always online:
From the look of it, you just need to get the latest version of the HotPot module.

all the best
Gordon
In reply to Gordon Bateson

by Glenys Hanson -
Thanks, Gordon.

I've passed all that along to my site administrator and hope he can find a solution.

> The modification prevents the popup feedback box appearing

Sorry, what modification are we talking about?

I've modified the source files so that there is no popup feedback box in certain exercises (because students get irritated when they keep having to dismiss it). This had caused no problems until recently. It worked just fine in Moodle.

By the way, I've only just realised that I have to use the htlm file if I want my modifications to appear in Moodle, though it's obvious now I think about it.

Thanks again,
Glenys

In reply to Glenys Hanson

by Gordon Bateson -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
Hi Glenys,
I hope the upgrade goes well.

> By the way, I've only just realised that I have to use the htlm file if I want my modifications to appear in Moodle, though it's obvious now I think about it.

If you want to make this modification to ALL your hotpots adminstered from your Moodle site, you can modify the templates in "mod/hotpot/templates/v6" and then run the quizzes from the XML files. It would save having to generate html files.

all the best
Gordon

by Simon Dupuich -
Hello,
I am the moodle admin in University of Franche Comté.
I tried to install the latest version of hotpot (download on your server), that don't solve our problem....
Is there a parameter to change for this wait?
What is surprising is that the same exercice work well on other moodle ...(1.8.3+)
I don't understand where is the problem...
I hope you can help me.

Thank you

Simon
In reply to Simon Dupuich

by Gordon Bateson -
Hi Simon,
sorry there was a slight difference between the "hotpot-full.js" file in Moodle 1.8 and 1.6.

I have fixed that now and confirmed that the results of all Glenys's quizzes in the "colurs_01" folder are returned to Moodle.

You can download the new version of the HotPot module for Moodle 1.6 here:
http://bateson.kanazawa-gu.ac.jp/moodle/hotpot-module.2.1.x.zip

Many thanks for reporting this problem approve

best regards
Gordon

by Simon Dupuich -
Hi Gordon,
Thank you very much. The problem is solve!!! Glenys will be happy wink
best regards

Simon