Wiki Questions

Wiki Questions

by Bruce Frey -
Number of replies: 3
Hello

Please excuse my questions. I did read all the docs available on wikis and still have some questions which I can't seem to find answers to. Let me explain:

I've been using Moodle for about 6 weeks now with 3 of my classes. In a very small class of 5 students I've used 2 different wiki's successfully having 2 separate groups of 2 and 1 group of 1. Each student adds the definitions of words I listed in a text document. Each student saves their changes without renaming the file.

However when I used this method with my larger class of 27 students I ran into problems and had to discontinue using. In this class I set-up 13 separate groups of 2 and 1 group of 1. Each took a text file of terms and had to split the list so that the 1st member of the group looks up the 1st half of the list and the 2nd group member looks up the last half.

Students have been advised not to try to make changes at the same time and thus have been coordinating when to make changes. The 1st two groups to use it this week in the larger class could only see their changes when they went to history.

Do I have to instruct them to save the page each time they change it using a name framed with brackets something like [student 1 version 1]? Currently, they only hit the save button after making their changes.

My smaller group worked successfully without naming their changes.
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Bruce Frey

Re: Wiki Questions

by Bruce Frey -
Hello Fellow Moodle Users
Has anyone had the chance to read my post from Sunday concerning using the standard wiki. I'm hoping for feedback to I can get one group of students back on track next week.

thank you.
Bruce Frey
Dean Technical High School
Holyoke, Massachusetts, USA
In reply to Bruce Frey

Re: Wiki Questions

by Lesli Smith -
Hi, Bruce. I read your original post a few times just now, but I'm still a bit confused. Are you using Moodle's group feature to set up your groups or are you assigning groups in your directions? Ie.

Johnny and Sarah: Terms 1-12
Jessica and Tony: Terms 13-24
etc.?

Backing up a bit, do you have the wiki set as a group wiki, separate groups or as a group wiki, no groups? A group wiki, separate groups would necessitate using Moodle's group feature; a group wiki, no groups would simply allow everyone in the course to edit the wiki.

I'm also wondering whether you might be running into an upload limit issue. I've never tried to upload multiple docs to one page. I usually set up a new page for each of my groups. What about trying the option of copying and pasting changes directly into the wiki?