Sort students by username / lastnameSort students by user name / last name in gradebook

Sort students by username / lastnameSort students by user name / last name in gradebook

by Sanjay P. K. -
Number of replies: 7
I have Gradebook Plus Version 2 (GBPv2) installed in Moodle 1.8.
1. Is it possible to sort the students by username. Since I am handling classes of size 60-80 students and since some of the exams here are conducted off-line, I have to export (and import ) grade date to ( from) my PC. In my offline grade sheet, students are sorted by their register number ( same as the user name) so I had to ask the students to change their first name to full name and Last name to the register number.
2. When I editgrades, names of the students are sorted by Firstname. When I sort it by Lastname, I cannot editgrades. Is it possible to editgrades after sorting the names by Lastname?
3. Is it possible to import / copy+paste data from a spreadsheet application to Gradebook?

In reply to Sanjay P. K.

Re: Sort students by username / lastnameSort students by user name / last name in gradebook

by Anthony Borrow -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Sanjay - I'm going to answer your questions in reverse order.

3 - As for importing into the Moodle gradebook, I believe that this is possible with Moodle 1.9 and I would recommend that you consider moving toward that as it has all of the features of Moodle 1.8 GBPv2. I do not anticipate writing any code to allow importing with GBPv2.

2 - Please submit a bug report in the CONTRIB section of the tracker (Patch: Gradebookplus) to fix the links on the edit page so that they work. As an immediate work around if you go to the edit pages and go to the url and add &sort=firstname or &sort=lastname depending on how you want it sorted you can get the result you are looking for. We simply need to change the URL on the edit page and get it working.

1 - Please submit a feature request in the CONTRIB section of the tracker (Patch: Gradebookplus) to create an option to sort by username. I'm not sure if we will have time to get to this or not but I think it is a worthwhile request.

Peace - Anthony
In reply to Anthony Borrow

Re: Sort students by username / lastnameSort students by user name / last name in gradebook

by Sanjay P. K. -
Thanks for the reply. Adding &sort=firstname or &sort=lastname to the URL worked. Today I submitted the bug report and the feature request; I am not sure I did it in the proper manner though.
In reply to Sanjay P. K.

by Anthony Borrow -
Sanjay - The tracker reports were just perfect - thanks for getting those on my radar. I have resolved the bug report and provided two patch files for the feature request. So now you should have everything working. I did not get a chance to test the sorting by username. I am curious as to how many users would find this feature helpful (either in Moodle core and/or the GBPv2 patch). If folks are interested in seeing it in the GBPv2, it would help if they could vote for it at CONTRIB-218. If there is interest in having the same functionality in the standard Moodle gradebook, then that would be a separate request in the tracker. Peace - Anthony

by Sanjay P. K. -
Thanks for the patch. I have asked my administrator to try it. That was my first visit to Moodle Tracker and I do not know how to request for a vote.
In reply to Sanjay P. K.

by Anthony Borrow -
You will need to create an account in the tracker. Once you do that and login you should see an option to vote for and/or watch an issue. Peace - Anthony

by Brian Pool -

Anthony, I can't find in 1.9 where you can add graded events and edit grades in the gradebook.  Does it have this like GBPV2 and I am a moron?

Brian

In reply to Brian Pool

by Anthony Borrow -
Brian - I'm definitely going to avoid doing any assessment of mental capacity as that is a separate job for me that I'd have to charge you for tongueout To turn editing on, look at the top, right - toward the header similar to what you would see for editing a course. There should be a button and then it will change the display. If you change in the drop down list from the grader report to View Edit Categories/Items you can find a place to add grade items (grade events in GBPv2). I agree that it is less than intuitive. Peace - Anthony

p.s. - I'm attaching a screenshot of the grade items add button.
Attachment gradeitems.png