Updating merged files : help needed

Updating merged files : help needed

by Valery Fremaux -
Number of replies: 4

Hi (Eloy)

I read the CVS guide for merging but experienced som understanding issues. Here is my understanding of the situation :

I get the checkout for the MOODLE_18_STABLE and MOODLE_19_STABLE and commited all stable state of the search engine. Checkouting MOODLE_18_MERGED shows me effectively fileset is not updated. I did'n saw where exactly id the MERGE tag in the tree figure : is it a tag of the HEAD trunk ?

I got understainding till the point 5 of the merging process, and then no way to connect to my WinCVS situation. What to do ... ?? ... for contributing reducing the unmerged list.

I tried the following but seems not being good way :

checkouted in a new directory the MERGED state of the fileset and then tried to update all with good staff. But I cannot add files nor directories on such a revision checkout (WinCVS says). Ok, i accept this although I still wonder why. What is the (human readable) procedure ?

Thanks.  

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Valery Fremaux

Re: Updating merged files : help needed

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
I think your mistake is in checking out the MOODLE_18_MERGED version. You never want to do that.

I don't use WinCVS, but judging by these screenshots, to see what is going on, you probably want to look at the graph window. That won't do anything for you, but it will show you what is happening. What you should see will look something like this:

Attachment Merging.png
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Tim Hunt

by Valery Fremaux -

Thanks Tim, I think I understood major parts of the process.

What only bothers me is that when I got back the 18_MERGED checkout, the fileset I commited in 18_STABLE (for retrofitting the complete search engine) was the old one. So 18_MERGED point do not have same fileset than 18_STABLE. So is the end of the 18 branch. Merging 18_MERGED to HEAD will bring me back obsolete fileset (before 18_STABLE updating), which should not reappear (I of course would restablish the actual fileset over, but this does not fix the problem of the end of the 18 branch).

As I diffed out the tags in the 18 branch, it seems that 181, 182 and 183 do not have also the retrofitted fileset. The situation is :

18_STABLE : good -> 18_MERGED : bad -> 1.8.1 : bad -> 1.8.2 bad -> 1.8.3 bad

May be I did it wrong retrofitting back the HEAD code seemfully more stable and acheived to 18_STABLE and 19_STABLE.

I will try your process from the 19 saving as usual actual local stuff and see what I'll see....

Last question : How to move the MERGED tag ? (step 9) ? ( I feel as clever as a mussel, some days incertain)

Regards. 

In reply to Valery Fremaux

by Martin Dougiamas -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Some points in there that I think are contributing to your confusion.

1) You should never check out the MERGED version ... you only ever check out STABLE versions or HEAD. MERGED tags are just like flags to "mark" the last place a merge between STABLE and HEAD took place.

2) Likewise, you never merge the MERGED version. You only ever merge the DIFFERENCE between MERGED and STABLE (to HEAD), and then update the MERGED flag so that process is not done a second time.

Perhaps someone can document a step-by-step procedure in WinCVS for you ... this is really important to get right because mistakes can totally bugger up the stable versions of Moodle that people are relying on.
In reply to Martin Dougiamas

by Valery Fremaux -

Thanks Martin, always so helpfull.

I followed step by step the procedure of Eloy with the command line that works under WinCVS. The tricky thing is that you don't exactly how to reproduce the exact option configuration with that kind of click-drop-fûûût GUI.

I updated 18 and 19 for /moodle/search and will do either for /blocks/search. Hope I've done it well. I'll check. I'm involved indeed in keeping Moodle in the most reliable state we can.

All seems OK now for search engine, as far as I can see.