Setting permissions for a new role in 1.7 - Problems

Re: Setting permissions for a new role in 1.7 - Problems

by Tim Hunt -
Number of replies: 0
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
I'm sorry we can't be more helpful, and sorry for misreading the tone of your earlier messages.

I would second what Helen says, that you need to do everything possible to avoid getting stuck on one Moodle version. You need a way to update so you can benefit from bug fixes and improvements. However, I also know how hard it is. We have to spend quite a big chunk of time on it here at the OU. The the payback for the effort is clear though. Look at this list of roles-related bugs fixed in 1.7.2 and 1.7.3, the list including bugs fixed up to 1.8.3 is even longer.

Just about the only way we developers have of releasing bug fixes is through point releases like 1.7.2 and 1.7.3. Well, the other mechanism is that you can get the fixes for individual bugs from the tracker, by looking on the Version Control tab, then you can apply those fixes to your Moodle manually, but that is not very scalable.

But I know all that is irrelevant to your current position. You need a solution now.

Since so many capabilities are misbehaving, I am inclined to think that the problem might be within the roles system and how it is combining capabilites, rather than with specific modules like the quiz.

Hang on. Here is a though. Can you look at the definition of some of the other roles, for instance Student. For the capabilities that student does not have, are the capabilities set to Prevent or Inherit. It should be Inherit. If it is Prevent, then the prevent from some other role might be cancelling out the Allow in the Coordinator role.