Manager Roles and Perscribed Learning work-around?

Manager Roles and Perscribed Learning work-around?

by Greg Frichette -
Number of replies: 2

I develop eLearning at a corporate office that supports our franchise network of 700 users. There are 70 franchisees with about 10 employees per location and I would like to have the following capability for the "franchisee admin."

I didn't see anything where I can associate a manager to students... is there such a thing out there?

The following is my best case scenario for a user hierarchy:

For example:

• I build all of the eLearning that is distributed to our 70 locations.
  • I build 70 location admins that are responsible for managing users at each location. Each admin can only see users built at thier location.
  • Each franchise admin can assign training / view reports on all employees at the location
  • The corporate administrator can run reports for all users at each location

Please let me know if this is possible.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Greg Frichette

Re: Manager Roles and Perscribed Learning work-around?

by Mark Drechsler -
Hi Greg,

The closest thing I've used to this would be setting up a mentor (parent) role (find out more at http://docs.moodle.org/en/Parent_role). I did this so that I could assign a manager to a number of employees who could monitor their team's progress (or lack thereof). This doesn't address the issue of being able to assign training at franchise level, but with a bit of tweaking in the roles (as you'll see when you go to set up a mentor/mentee relationship) you should be able to work something out.

Hope this helps,

Mark.
In reply to Greg Frichette

Re: Manager Roles and Perscribed Learning work-around?

by Jason Cole -
Hi Greg.

In part the answer depends on the version of Moodle you are using. In earlier versions of Moodle, you could add a manager as a non-editing teacher, and assign them to a group. I believe in older versions of Moodle if a non-editing teacher is assinged to a group in separate groups mode, they can't see the other groups.

Alternatively, you could make each location a course and assign the local admin as a teacher on that course.

There are a few possibilities, each with their advantages and disadvantages.

J