Dumb newbie is confused

Dumb newbie is confused

by Albert Ramsbottom -
Number of replies: 1
Hi

I am just reading the backup of Moodle FAQ and need some clarifcation of the varouis backups that are mentioned

If I understand things correctly I require a full site and database backup from my server--Which is obvouis right!

Secondly I require a course back up so I can restore any issues at course level. i have set this in administration>courses>course backups. Ok so I think I know what I am doing at the moemnt.

However the documentation then goes on to suggest:

"In order to make scheduled course backups, you have to setup CRON to run periodically. Have a look at Set up cron for details."

Now what does this mean becuase in the administration>courses>course backups I have allready set a scheduled back up.

In addition it then goes on to suggest that I need a cron job to shedule emails from forums and to check the period updates of varouis modules etc.

Please, someone tell what this means

Thanks in advance
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Albert Ramsbottom

Re: Dumb newbie is confused

by Luke Hudson -
Hi there. In order for any of the regular, scheduled activities Moodle offers to occur, there must be a something running at regular intervals on your computer to trigger the processing of these events.
In other words, all these scheduled things are only checked and processed when the moodle admin/cron.php file is executed.

So, if you set up a cron job to run (lets say) every fifteen minutes, and that job executes the moodle admin/cron.php script, then all your forum emails, and scheduled events and backups will just work as you've scheduled them!

Have a look at the Set up cron page, as suggested, and post back here if you have trouble.

Cheers,
- Luke