Installed Moodle 1.3: Lost Admin to course

Installed Moodle 1.3: Lost Admin to course

by John Pietsch -
Number of replies: 2

I just installed Moodle 1.3 and everything seems to go well.  I used CVS.  Now when I go into a couse, the Administration group does not have any options listed.  I am not sure how to modify the course parameters as I did in 1.2. Am I missing something?  Also, when I was experimenting with the groups on the home page I deleted (pressed the x icon) on Activities, the 'group' does not show up in the Add... list.

I really like Moodle and all the new features.  I work at a univeristy that uses Blackboard and like this LMS much better.  I have shown it to faculty and they like it better too especially the social emphasis.  Good job. approve

Average of ratings: -
In reply to John Pietsch

Re: Installed Moodle 1.3: Lost Admin to course

by Gustav W Delius -

I suspect that you have Moodle 1.4 development and not Moodle 1.3. When you install from CVS with the commands given on the downloads page you get the latest development version of Moodle. The development code temporarily had a bug that led to the problem you describe. 

In order to give users the possibility to use CVS to get the latest stable version with all bug fixes included, rather than the latest development version, Martin has created a CVS branch called MOODLE_13_STABLE. To check out this branch you need the command

cvs -z3 -d:pserver:anonymous@cvs.sourceforge.net:/cvsroot/moodle co -r MOODLE_13_STABLE moodle

which differs from the usual procedure by the extra option in red that determines the branch. Now I should add that I haven't actually tested that what I write above is correct because I never use the command line. I use TortoiseCVS

If you use Tortoise CVS then you can choose the branch from the checkout dialog box by clicking on the "Revision" tab and then on "Choose branch or tag".

In reply to Gustav W Delius

Re: Installed Moodle 1.3: Lost Admin to course

by John Pietsch -

Thank you.  That was it.  I would have not known that I got a untested version by using the instructions give for upgrading to 1.3

Maybe the upgrade instruction for using CVS could include a warning for this problem.

Thank you again for the assistance.  Everything is working great (from what I can see so far).