Blackboard 6 to Moodle 1.6.3 Import Tool

Blackboard 6 to Moodle 1.6.3 Import Tool

by Chris Potter -
Number of replies: 2
Through a project between Northwestern Michigan College and West Shore Community College in Michigan, we've hired someone to create a tool to transfer the information about Blackboard 6 pools and tests into Moodle Question pools. Tests still have to be recreated and people using 1.8 may or may not have an easy time with it (we're having a bit of trouble with an upgrade to 1.8.2), but for 1.6.3, it was wonderful! I'm sure with a little tweaking, it could be made ready for 1.8+, but I'm not an xsl transform expert. Also, I'm not sure how well it works with Bb7.

Place the attached file in the moodle/backup/bb/ folder (it will replace your old file, but I HIGHLY recommend renaming or backing up your old file first). I really hope that someone can continue to modify it to make it work for future versions to keep the transitions fairly smooth. Feel free to try it out. I'd be ESPECIALLY interested in hearing from someone willing to look at changes that need to be made for 1.8. Thanks and I hope this helps!
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Chris Potter

Re: Blackboard 6 to Moodle 1.6.3 Import Tool

by Stephen Poynter -
Okay...I just couldn't wait. I just gave this a try with the latest 1.9 beta of Moodle. I tried to import a Blackboard course with two questions into Moodle. The restore only imported one question, so something still needs to be modified. Hey it's one more question than I had before, so we're making progress here. I'll try to dig into the xsl stuff and see what I can figure out. I'll keep you posted.
In reply to Stephen Poynter

Re: Blackboard 6 to Moodle 1.6.3 Import Tool

by Chris Potter -
That's great. I'd appreciate anything you can find. I'll be looking at it today also. We're on the last probably 25% of our conversion, so I'd like to see this get fixed before my college pulls me away to other projects for Moodle.