Half Point Grading

Half Point Grading

by Travis Hufford -
Number of replies: 7

I am a Moodle technical support worker at East Carolina University, and one of our teachers posed a question that I was not able to instantly answer and I was hoping that someone on this site would be able to answer.

Are you able to give a fractional grade in an assignment? Specifically, she has students that need grades such as 14.5 out of 15. Unfortunately, the grade drop down menu only offers whole numbers. Is there a way to input half numbers? Is there something that I am missing? I truly hope so.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Travis Hufford

Re: Half Point Grading

by George Argyrous -
I have exactly the same issue, which arose yesterday. I really need to allow for fractional grading; at least to 0.5 increments. Can the elements in the drop-down menu be changed, or else (and better) can open boxes be available for grades to be typed into, rather than selected from a drop-down menu?

by Warren Linds -
I agree with the postings here. The only work around I have found is to increase the maximum for the grade. For example, if I am grading out of 5 and I want half increments I make the grade out of 50 and then a 45 is a 4.5. This confuses students, of course, as they know the grade is outof 5 and wonder why the difference. So an improvement of the grading module by allowing half point or even quarter point increments would be nice. (I often give grades of 3.75/5 but the 50 point system means I have to enter it as 37/50).

by Travis Hufford -
actually, I found the solution. You can create a custom scale, and it will add to the total points in the grade book. Another genius thing moodle adds in. In my case, I made a scale that went went as follows: 0.5, 1, 1.5,....14.5, 15. You can create the custom scale with commas between each value and then use tat scale for the grading method in the assignment.

I hope this helps everyone!

by Kate Dunlay -
Where do you create a custom scale? I just hit this problem. I want to give lots of grades of 4.5 out of 5.
In reply to Kate Dunlay

by Kate Dunlay -
Okay, I found how to make a custom scale. My only problem now is that I can't find how to make an assignment use the custom scale. I read the instructions but I don't see a drop down menu as described.

Also, it took me a long time to figure out how to edit the grade in the grade book, since I already had editing on as I usually do. Yet, there is a second button for turning that particular kind of editing on. Surprise! I guess I didn't see it because I had the page scrolled down. Once one knows, it's not a problem, but maybe the next person to come along will have trouble too.
In reply to Kate Dunlay

by Ann Adamcik -
Kate,

When you create or edit an assignment, you should see a "Grade" dropdown just below the assignment description. You can choose your scale there.

There is a feature request in the tracker - MDL-16386.
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Ann Adamcik

by Kate Dunlay -
Ah, thankyou. I had thought this was only for choosing the max point value. I didn't notice that the new scale was added there at the top.

- Kate D.