different weightages for different choices

different weightages for different choices

by Suresh kumar -
Number of replies: 5
Hi all

When using feedback/questionnare module, is it possible to have different weights for different choices of answers in a multiple choice question?

For example (weights of different choices indicated along with the choice)
Question: Is the teacher regular in the class

choice 1: Quite regular - weight = 1
choice 2: Almost regular - weight =.9
choice 3: irregular - weight = .4
choice 4: quite irregular - weight = 0

Next question may have say 5 choices each with its own weights.

So depending on the answer the student chooses for various questions, the teacher gets an index. The questions/weights are pre-set by some body else and I am trying to implement this using moodle.

any suggestions on how to go about? needless to say the feedback must be anonymous.

thanks
suresh
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Suresh kumar

Re: different weightages for different choices

by Joseph Rézeau -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Hi Suresh
Quite frankly I don't see the point of this weightage system. It seems very strange to me.
Joseph
In reply to Joseph Rézeau

by Suresh kumar -
Hi Joseph,

Yea, may be true. But in my case, this questionnaire has been made by the Govt and has been in use for years and i cant touch it. I am trying to see how moodle can be used to automate the feedback process which other wise requires custom software...

suresh
In reply to Suresh kumar

by Joseph Rézeau -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Well, using the Feedback module with Radiobutton (rated) questions should keep your Govt happy. See attached procedure.
Please note that it is not possibe to have decimal numbers in rated questions, so use integers instead (and if you need to, you can divide the final result by 10).
The "teacher index" you want is in the Average cell in Excel.
Joseph
Attachment image00.jpg
In reply to Joseph Rézeau

different weightages for different choices - new aspects

by Suresh kumar -
Hi Joseph,

Thanks for your detailed answer. May I ask some more questions in this respect.
  1. I find that for some questions, the weightages of each choices run into even 5 decimal digits. For example, consider this question (weightages given in brackets): Does the teacher encourage questioning? Yes (6.875) sometimes (3.89375) No (0.7375) Blank (1.775). What is the best strategy in this case?
  2. I have to run this feedback for around 200 courses. Same questionnaire to be taken by different set of students of different courses. Is feedback module better suited or the questionnaire module for this purpose?
Thanks and regards
suresh
In reply to Suresh kumar

Re: different weightages for different choices - new aspects

by Joseph Rézeau -

Hi Suresh,

> 1. I find that for some questions, the weightages of each choices run into even 5 decimal digits.

Do you mean that the average displayed when your responses are exported to Excel runs into a number of decimal digits? Of course it does, it's an average. If you want to round it, then you can do it within Excel. I do not understand the problem.

2. As explained in my previous post, only the Feedback module provides a "weightage" facility for Radio button type questions. If this weightage facility is important for you, then you'll have to use the Feedback module, not the Questionnaire module.

However I do not use the Feedback module myself and maybe there are other advantages/drawbacks compared to the Questionnaire module, I don't know.

Joseph