Moodledo

Moodledo

av Raphael O'Malley -
Antall svar: 6
Is there a difference between 'moodledo' and 'moodle'?
I was looking into learning platforms and came across this website: http://www.i2q.co.uk
Gjennomsnittlig vurdering: -
Som svar til Raphael O'Malley

Re: Moodledo

av A. T. Wyatt -
Looks like they are selling moodle hosting services. It appears to me that it is the same moodle we all know and love!

I guess you could tell if you got a preview of the product and looked at the code.

atw

av Martin Dougiamas -
Bilde av Core developers Bilde av Documentation writers Bilde av Moodle HQ Bilde av Particularly helpful Moodlers Bilde av Plugin developers Bilde av Testers
It's exactly the same, they are just using a different name (not different enough in my opinion!)
Som svar til Martin Dougiamas

av Pauline Randall -

I had a look at their promotional stuff and they seem to be a bit cagey about the way they refer to what is actually Moodle.

I know they can use the source code and repackage but surely this is a bit too cheeky, especially with a name like Moodledo - are there any copyright infringements that you could throw at them?

Som svar til Pauline Randall

av Martin Dougiamas -
Bilde av Core developers Bilde av Documentation writers Bilde av Moodle HQ Bilde av Particularly helpful Moodlers Bilde av Plugin developers Bilde av Testers
Just to get the terminology right, note that it's not a copyright issue: they have the same right as we all do to use, modify and distribute Moodle code (under GPL) and even to build a commercial business using Moodle. No problem there!

The issue, if there is one, is just about their brand name which is obviously confusingly similar to Moodle (as evidenced by the first post). It seems that they've chosen a name designed to be different to "Moodle" (to try and avoid the trademark) but similar enough so that people will still confuse the two. I think it's still too similar. Trademark holders are required (by law) to enforce infringements like this.

av David Fountain -

"Current services available direct to schools include Learning Platforms such as Moodledo, our hosted and managed version of the popular open source moodle VLE, Microsoft Learning Gateway MLE solutions and i2Report, our web based, MIS integrated report writing and report cycle management solution. I2Q also supply a range of LA wide ICT solutions which many schools benefit from through increased access to content and learning opportunities."

http://www.i2q.co.uk/schools/