Journals and feedback lost after permissions change

Journals and feedback lost after permissions change

by Laura ***** -
Number of replies: 4
Hi,

Recently on our Moodle site (version 1.7) there was a problem with role permissions being changed but we put them back to the way they were previously.

But for journal entries and the feedback given to them, now students cannot see these. But the grade is still recorded in the grades section so that is pretty much all they can see of previous journal entries. Also the student does not seem to have the ability to start a journal entry, all they see is the journal question posted.

Did one of the permissions not get put back to the way it should be? What permission would be affecting this journal problem?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Laura *****

Re: Journals and feedback lost after permissions change

by Shawn Stoneham -

Hi Laura,  Small world eh?  Found your post by searching Google for this problem (sigh)!

Shawn

In reply to Laura *****

by Heini Trümpy -
I met the same problem, even without changing the rights of the users. I hope, somebody can explain this.
We work with moodle 1.7

In reply to Laura *****

by Heini Trümpy -
Hi
24 hours later, I found at least a workauround:
I gave the teacher, that lost the journal-entries, the rights of an administrator in our moodle-installation. In her classroom, I set her role to course-creator. With this combination, she should be able to see the journals of her students and stay a member of her classroom simultaneously (if her role in the classroom is set to administrator, she is no longer member of the class!).
It is important to control, that the person, wich is course-creator, is NOT inscribed simultaneously as teacher or student, if so, the system won't work!

I would be glad to hear about a solution, that avoids the need of distributing administration-rights so freely ...

Heini Trümpy
In reply to Heini Trümpy

by Shawn Stoneham -

This does make sense as I recently gave this instructor administrator rights.  I will add her as a course creator for the class involved (sigh...she is in several classes!) and see if that has a positive effect.

Will let you know.  Shawn