Forum ratings

Forum ratings

by Joe Griffin -
Number of replies: 10
I'm a bit confused on this feature.

I've sucessfully set up a scale to enalbe be to evaluate forum postings. My scale has 4 values, triggering, exploration, integration and resolution. I can select one of these from the rating drop down. But when I select grades only one of these appears sometimes followed by a number in brackets, sometimes not. Then with four values separated by "/". I think each value is tgeh number of time the category has been selected. But what is the number in brackets and why is it there sometimes and not others? I've attached a part of the spreadsheet of this. I can't find anything in the help documentation.

Also, if two teachers input a rating is there a way of getting each teacher's cumulative grades for each student separately. I was thinking that if teacher A is logged in then only that teacher gets his/her ratings.

Thanks
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Joe Griffin

Re: Forum ratings

by Martin Dougiamas -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
When you see

Integration (5) 1/1/2/1

That means the average score was Integration, that there were 5 ratings made (not shown when there is only one), and the spread of answers was 1/1/2/1 (it's like a little bargraph, each item is an item on your scale).
In reply to Martin Dougiamas

by Joe Griffin -
Thanks. One other thing, how is the total calculated as it seems to stay at 0 on my grades.

Joe
In reply to Joe Griffin

by Przemyslaw Stencel -
This is because custom scales are not incorporated into the total in the gradebook. Only numerical grades are used to calculate the total.

HTH
Przemek
In reply to Joe Griffin

by Martin Dougiamas -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Scales are not meant to be mathematical ... ie triggering + exploited = ????

by Ger Tielemans -

A. From a teacher point of view I would like to say:

• During a course you choose several qualities on which you want to evaluate your students. (competencies?)
  • Some of these qualities are "operationalised" in tests with pure scores on tests (numbers on a rational scale. The most famous one: IQ tests ending up in an IQ score.)
  • Others are grades for assignments (numbers like above OR scores on ordinal scales)
  • The last set of ordials are "group of scales" where you pronounce for each set a "final ordial" for pass or fail.(Like in Rubrics) The warning on the box is always: "watch out, you cannot simply average these scores, because they are on different ordinal scales")

B. One way or the other you need a method to say: this student fails/passes this course.
But how to express then your final ordial that has to go back to the administration?

• Some people say that it is ok to express that in numbers between 1 and 10 (Europe)
  • Others prefer to express it from A to F (USA)
  • still others refine these systems (1 to 100) or (A+ A A- B+ B B- etc..)
  • then there are people who have the feeling that they do the student more right, when they express themselves in a long description of all the qualities of the student. (Realising that it will cost them to much time, they let the students prove with a personal ePortfolio that they meet the criteria...Criteria? Well, the criteria they promiss to write down someday when they have more time..)

C. Taking all this in consideration: How can we handle this in a practical way in Moodle?

1. Look at each task in a course (single task or a complex tasks) and MARK the tasks that a student MUST PASS. Without passing these they do not get their certificate. An ordial for a eWiki/portfolio's could be one of these.(This is how frontrunner Kalamazoo is handling portfolio these days) 
    In the gradebook you must be able to set that pass or fail marker.
    (It is now possible by using an offline assignment for this)
  2. Then look at the other tasks in that course and decide how to group them together.
    1. With the already availbele "calculated columns" you can average and weight the contributing scores for each group. (...ending up with one calculated score for each task-group) 
    2. For the other groups of tasks you use sets of scales, where you need a way to look at that set of scales and set a final pass/fail in the gradebook. (again warning on the cover of the box..)
      (Would be more elegant to have an "Ordial-form" with such a group of scales on it and the fill-in-field for the final ordial that goes straight into the gradebook...)
    3. Scores for trial tasks are visible in the gradebook, but are not contributing to the final scores.
  3. The last thing you have to do is agree with your curriculum coordinator, which set of gradebook scores goes in which week (by pussing on a button that is sending only the conetnet of the checkmarked columns only once available in that week big grin ) to the central administration.

Well?

Sidestep about scales:

Would be great to have:

• behind every task in a MOODLE a button (so it is the choice of the teacher to use it or not) that shows a description page where he can:
    • write down which competency he is covering with that task
    • write down on that same page how he will measure that for that task:
      • task description depending of the freedom in that Moodle modul
      • pass/fail criteria for grading or descriptions (when using scales)
      • Use the simple style of Rubistar?

In reply to Ger Tielemans

by Tom Murdock -
Ger,

Well, I think most of these points are covered in the current Moodle.

Are you saying you wish the calculated column code would include a grouping mechanism so that a bunch of "rated" activities would be next to an "actual final ordial" grade?

How about arranging your course like this:

Forum 1: (rated)
Forum 2: (rated)
Glossary 1: (rated)
Glossary 2: (rated)
Off-line Assignment: (graded).

What I usually do is download the Forum and Glossary ratings to a spreadsheet, determine the overall grade I'm giving them (in a new column on the spreadsheet), and then manually move the results of the new column back to the off-line assignment grades.

This way, I've rated the work, I've measured the ratings, I've reported to the students, and everyone (including coordinators, etc.) can see the process.
In reply to Tom Murdock

by Ger Tielemans -

As an external observer I see you collect scores in Moodle, Ok for Me.
But then I see you leave the building.
Then you calculate OUT OF SCOPE the set of final scores.
(You say you used a spreadsheet.. but do you attach that spreadsheet to your course? OOPS, forgotten. arn't we all humans wink )
Then you come back and hand me over the final scores.

Four things I do not like in this approach:

• Introducing an external tool like a spreadheet creates an extra hurdle and chances for transfer mistakes.
  • I would prefer to see in Moodle - and in the backup - how you created your finals.
  • We are moving to teamteaching, so several teacher will need an up to date overview of the final ordial (and discuss the human corrections as a team..)
  • When I visit you as student (or parent of a younger student) It would look more fair/professional if you could show me the overview page and the way you calculated (Read: extended gradebook) your final ordial IN Moodle.

In reply to Ger Tielemans

by Tom Murdock -
Good points. I accept them all.

So what is the easiest way to keep things internal? Perhaps to create the Off-line Assignment and then to enter its scores from the gradebook view (grades.php) while the other ratings are in view? That way you (or your other teachers, or parents, or others) can review how you moved from point A to B?

by Joe Griffin -
I realise that but what I'm trying to do is to assess the level of cognitive presence (Garrsion et al 2001) in a threaded discussion. What I'd like to know is the total number of posts per student and then the percentage of each student's posts that are triggering or exploration or integration or resolution. I guess I'll have to count these manually unless there is another way?

Joe
In reply to Joe Griffin

by Przemyslaw Stencel -
Provided you have rated all of your students' messages, you will have this data (on a per-forum basis, not the total for the whole course). With your scale (triggering, exploration, integration, resolution) when you see  Integration (5) 1/1/2/1 in the gradebook, it means that a student has posted a total of 5 messages, 1 was rated as triggering, 1 as exploration, 2 were rated as integration, and 1 as resolution). Is this what you were trying to achieve?