masher and mp3 audio files and players

masher and mp3 audio files and players

by robert maran -
Number of replies: 10
Hi,
I created a series of exercises and used masher to put them together. Three of the exercises included audio files (mp3). I was experimenting with different players, so for "audio file 1 exercise" I used the player "hbs_mp3_player3but.swf," and for "audio files 1 and 2 exercises" I used "hbs_mp3_player.swf. "

When I uploaded to moodle (1.7.2) and viewed them, with force media player set to "No", "audio file 1 exercise" displayed only hbs_mp3_player3but.swf (what I wanted), but "audio files 1 and 2 exercises", displayed the moodle default player PLUS "hbs_mp3_player.swf. " (what I don't want).

When I uploaded one of the exercises that used "hbs_mp3_player.swf. " independently (i.e. not part of masher), it appeared with only "hbs_mp3_player.swf. " (what I wanted)

I can also confirm the following: This problem with doubling up of players using the masher made exercise DID NOT appear when
1. I viewed it with Safari browser.
2. I uploaded the masher exercise to moodle 1.8.2

Any ideas how to solve this would be much appreciated!

Cheers,
Robert
p.s. There were some suggestions about changing the multi-media plugin settings. I tried that but it didn't make any difference.
Average of ratings: -
In reply to robert maran

Re: masher and mp3 audio files and players

by Gordon Bateson -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
Dear Robert,
if you would like me to investigate, please upload the quizzes and media players to my website:
thanks
Gordon
In reply to Gordon Bateson

by robert maran -
Hi Gordon,
Thanks. I have just uploaded per your instructions. File is "unit 1 language summary". You may notice that it is OK on moodle 1.8, but as I said it showed double players in moodle 1.7.2 using IE7, but it was normal with in safari. Your expertise as always is appreciated!

Cheers
robert
In reply to robert maran

by Gordon Bateson -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
Hi Robert,
thanks for adding the files to the Moodle site.

There are a couple of things which strike me as slightly odd:
  • you have added the masher file as a HotPot activity, but it is just list of links, an ordinary HTML file, with no "questions" and no "score".
  • the HP exercises themselves do not pass through the HotPot module at all. They are run from direct links to the source files in the "Files" are of the Moodle course. The scores will not be recorded and student responses will not be available in the HotPot reports.
If you wish to add these HP exercises to your Moodle course I suggests you do the following:
  1. forget about the masher file, "Unit 1- Language summary.htm"
  2. add a new HotPot to your course with the following settings:
  • Name: Get from file
  • Filename: Unit_1-_language_summary/nounssound1.htm
  • Add quiz chain: Yes
  • Navigation: Hot Potatoes quiz buttons
  • Force media players: No
When you click the "Save changes" button then all the HP exercises in this chain will be added to your Moodle course and will appear on the Moodle course page in the same way that were listed in the Masher file I will move the "Unit_1-_language_summary" folder across to my Moodle 1.7 site, and add the HotPots using the procedure outlined above. Here are the login details:
cheers
Gordon

by Gordon Bateson -
Robert,
having added the HP exercises as HotPot activities in Moodle 1.7, when I view them with IE7 there is now only a single player, (please see attached screenshot) so this seems to fix the "double players" that you reported.

If anything is not clear, please let me know.

regards
Gordon
Attachment rm.moodle17.jpg

by robert maran -
Hi Gordon,
Just for clarification:
1. Are you saying that I should not use the Masher at all to bundle all the files together, but instead manually connect each file on my PC before zipping and uploading to moodle?
2. Or can i use Masher but just ignore the first "index page" and proceed to use the hotpot settings you indicated?

robert
In reply to robert maran

by Gordon Bateson -
> 1. Are you saying that I should not use the Masher at all to bundle all the files together, but instead manually connect each file on my PC before zipping and uploading to moodle?

No. I am saying "Please use the Masher to bundle all the files together and connect the files into a chain of quizzes, but after you upload all the files to Moodle there is no need to use the Masher index file in the Moodle course. Instead you should add all the HP exercises as individual HotPot activities."

Please remember you can add many HP exercises in one go using the steps I outlined earlier.

> 2. Or can i use Masher but just ignore the first "index page" and proceed to use the hotpot settings you indicated?

Yes. That's it exactly.

by robert maran -
Hi Gordon,
Yes, I did as you suggested. It only displays the single player. The downside is that a student would have to go through every exercise before they can exit if the chain is set to "Hide". Of course if you set the chain to "show", then a student could do each exercise individually.

With the menu page using Masher, of course a student could do or select any exercise. But as you say, as it is set up now, the grades are not recorded. (pity)

Thanks for your assistance
robert
In reply to robert maran

by Gordon Bateson -
Hi Robert,

> I did as you suggested. It only displays the single player.

Great, I am pleased to hear the problem is fixed !

> The downside is that a student would have to go through
> every exercise before they can exit if the chain is set to "Hide".
> Of course if you set the chain to "show", then a student could
> do each exercise individually.

In this case it seems like you want to give the students access to any exercise any time, so I would do what you have done and leave the visibility for each quiz as "Show", so that they can access any HotPot from the Course page.

You may be interested to know that the next version of the HotPot module will able to handle Masher files. It will behave more how you expected it to behave this time around.

all the best
Gordon

by robert maran -
Hi Gordon,
thanks for your quick response. Yes, you are right in that the scores don't record. I will give what you have suggested a go. Should solve the player issue. Pity about Masher has it does make things simplier.
Cheers
Robert
In reply to robert maran

by Gordon Bateson -
> Pity about Masher as it does make things simplier.

I agree the Masher is very useful for ordering the quizzes and setting "Next" and "Previous" links. I use it all the time. However, the Masher's html is not necessary in Moodle because the list of links to quizzes that it contains is replaced by the list of links to HotPot activities on the Moodle course page.