Is it possible to change 30 minute limit for Q&A forums?

Is it possible to change 30 minute limit for Q&A forums?

by Abdullah Atalar -
Number of replies: 6
I am wondering if there is a way of changing the "30 minute" time limit within which students are allowed to edit their posts.
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Abdullah Atalar

Re: Is it possible to change 30 minute limit for Q&A forums?

by Bruce Schmoetzer -
Yes it is. In moodle v1.8 you go to:

Site Administration/Security/Site Policies/Maximum time to edit posts

The default is 30 minutes. It will look something like:

Maximum time to edit posts maxeditingtime 1 minutes5 minutes15 minutes30 minutes45 minutes60 minutes

Give it a try!

-Bruce
In reply to Abdullah Atalar

by Aaron Milavec -

The time of editing posts can be extended beyond the 60 minutes as well.  Do the following:

1. Open moodle/administration/settings/security.html in suitable editor.  I used Dreamweaver 4.0.

2. Revise last line of the array as follows:

get_string('configmaxeditingtime','admin'), 2700,
             array(60 => get_string('numminutes', '', 1),
                   300 => get_string('numminutes', '', 5),
                   900 => get_string('numminutes', '', 15),
                   1800 => get_string('numminutes', '', 30),
                   2700 => get_string('numminutes', '', 45),
                   7257600 => get_string('numminutes', '', 120960))));

Note: I chose 7257600 seconds (=120960 minutes) because this equals 12 weeks.  Any suitable time period can be chosen.

3. Save and PUT security.html into moodle files using a ftp transfer.

4. Open up your Moodle sites and log on as "Administrator."  Go to the Site Administration/Security/Site Policies.  Find the "Maximum time to edit posts" and select "120960" within the drop-down selection box.  Go to the bottom of the page and "Save Changes."

Having done this, participants can now edit their posts for 12 weeks.  At the Catherine of Siena Virtual College, classes can run up to 10 weeks. The extra two weeks enables participants to edit/delete their material during the two weeks following the end of class. From that point onward, materials become the property of the College and can be used to promote the course for forthcoming participants/students.  For details, see http://www.catherinecollege.net/moodle/mod/resource/view.php?id=139

Aaron

In reply to Aaron Milavec

by Michelle Carter -
I'm a computer semi-literate and editing code, I fear, is probably beyond me. The application for Moodle at my university offers faculty almost no options for changing settings. We've got a *15* minute editing/delete limit, and our support team gets very huffy if you ask if any setting can be changed. How do I get access to moodle/administration/settings/security.html? If I were to download moodle myself, & have my students download it, could we change our own settings & circumvent the university altogether? Thanks for your excellent help.
In reply to Michelle Carter

by Bruce Schmoetzer -
Michelle,

There are a couple of different ways to do what I think you are asking. Unfortunately, they do require a bit of understanding about how moodle works.

From your comment, "If I were to download moodle myself, & have my students download it, could we change our own settings & circumvent the university altogether?" it appears that you are interpreting Moodle to act like MS Word or Excel. That is, as a standalone application or program. Moodle is actually a web site. You use your web browser (IE, Safari, Firefox,...) to get access to it and to use Moodle's features and functions. So, having your students download it is probably not what you want to do.

On the other hand, you and your students might want to setup your own Moodle server just for your classes. In that case, you could bypass the University support folks and do your own thing. This means that you & your students would not get any help from Univ Support, but you would have total control. Depending on your needs, this might be an appropriate solution.

As a last resort, you could ask the Univ Support group to setup a Moodle installation just for your classes and grant you (and select students) Site Administrator privileges. This would allow you have total control as well and (if they are willing!) Univ Support help.

If you can post some additional information about what you are trying to accomplish with Moodle in your class(es), I am sure that we can make some better educated suggestions.

-Bruce
In reply to Aaron Milavec

by Danea Johnson -
I am having a difficult time understanding the purpose of the 30-minute time limit. It seems that when our professors and I create a forum we are given a time limit to edit, but students are still allowed to edit their posts days later. If someone could explain exactly what the purpose of the time limit is and how to enforce it instead of extend it, please help... thanks a bunch!
In reply to Danea Johnson

by ben reynolds -
Danea,
You really want to start a new topic with this question.

Meanwhile, students should not still have editing abilities after 30 minutes. If they do, and if it is in all forums in all classrooms, someone has changed a global permission (changed it site wide).

There is a permission to "delete own post (anytime)" in the student role. If that's what you mean by "edit," check the setting. The default setting appears to be "not set."