biggener want to develop

biggener want to develop

by sohad aabed -
Number of replies: 11

hello

i am very begginer to the moodle ,i wish to do little development on moodle codes as i am student and do that as aproject in my study..

but some problems face me..

First :How i can know the exact functions i should to change or  modify?

Second : i learn PHP very recently , but still need to know constants, veriables and DB entries of moodle..how can i treat with code of number of thousands of lines as i am new to it..??

sorry but I feel enthusiasm  and   hurry in  the reply

thanks

Average of ratings: -
In reply to sohad aabed

Re: biggener want to develop

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
If you have not already found it, the main source of developer documentation is http://docs.moodle.org/en/Development:Developer_documentation.

For finding where to start, you need to know that when you are looking at, for example, http://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=82799, then the code for that is in /mod/forum/discuss.php, and you just need to follow through what it does.

It call functions in the main Moodle libraries, and the three most important are:

lib/moodlelib.php - general stuff.
lib/weblib.php - things to do with output of HTML
lib/dmllib.php - things to do with getting data in and out of the database.

As you look at the code, it is often a good idea, to insert statements like

debugging('In function require_login');
or
print_object($course);

The second of these will print out a variable, showing you what it contains. Variable like $course are often objects with lots of fields. Seeing what they contain will help you understand what is going on. The first of these prints out whatever text you give it, and information about the sequence of function calls that the code took to get there. (It only work if you go to Admin -> Server -> Debugging, and turn the debug level to ALL or DEVELOPER.

Finally, it is helpful to have an editor that lets you jump around the code. For example, I like Eclipse, and if I hold down CTRL and click on the name of a function, it immediately jumps me to where that function if defined. Most good editors (including Emacs and vi/Vim) can do this. (http://docs.moodle.org/en/Development:Setting_up_Eclipse)

Edit: I thought this post was sufficently useful to be worth saving, so I put it here: http://docs.moodle.org/en/Development:Finding_your_way_into_the_Moodle_code
Average of ratings: Useful (3)
In reply to Tim Hunt

by sohad aabed -
I am truly grateful ,thank you for rapid reaction. I am now trying and hoping to succeed ..
Thanks very much again.. 
In reply to Tim Hunt

by Anthony Borrow -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Tim - When I create a new CVS Project and download the code, I do not get the ctrl-click code navigation. To get it to work I have to copy over a generic .project file and then change the name to the resource I want. Then Eclipse will go out and rebuild the project. Do you have to do something similar or to I have something misconfigured? Peace - Anthony
In reply to Anthony Borrow

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
When you create the new project from CVS, then on one of the screens of the wizard, it should ask you about the new project you want to create, on one of the options should 'New project configured using the new project wizard', and if you choose that, you can then ensure the new project is a PHP project.

http://docs.moodle.org/en/Development:Setting_up_Eclipse should have step-by-step instructions.
In reply to Tim Hunt

by Chris Collman -
Picture of Documentation writers

Tim,

Since this old post you have added the excellent Intro to Moodle Programming course at dev.moodle.org .   Appreciate all that you and other developers do.

Best Chris

In reply to Chris Collman

by Tim Hunt -

I can't take any credit for that. It was the good folk at Humboldt State University and SFSU who made it.

I just pop in there ocassionally and answer forum posts.

In reply to sohad aabed

by Angela Roberts -
Sohad,

I would say that i am an intermediate Moodle user/coder/developer and I would love to work with you on your journey into Moodle. I actually have a few simple projects that I am working on and I could definitely use an extra hand. Would you be interested in contacting me and helping me.

I am working on course formats
Several Moodle Modules
And Moodle and Ajax

I am very hopeful that you will contact me and we can determine if working together might be a good match.

Angela
moodle@acuteconsulting.com

In reply to Angela Roberts

by sohad aabed -

Hi Angela
i feel happy when i read your reply but as i have told , i am very begginer and still try in this field.

really i am very interested , but still need more time to do what i want. i'll be happy if i can do something with you .

wait your reply   smile

Sohad 

In reply to sohad aabed

by Angela Roberts -
Sohad,

We were all beginners at some point. And everything I know I know because of others who have helped me. The least I can do is return the favor by helping others.

Honestly I am closer to a beginner than I am intermediate. Contact me directly and we can talk.

moodle@acuteconsulting.com

angela