What should we talk about at the hack-fest?

What should we talk about at the hack-fest?

by Tim Hunt -
Number of replies: 5
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
Next Tuesday, at the pre-conference day for the Moodle Moot (http://docs.moodle.org/en/Development:MoodleMoot_2007_HackFest) we will be discussing some of the problems with the quiz module and question bank at the moment, and how we might try to fix them.

I know that several of the regular participants in this forum are going to be there, which is great, but there are more people here who won't be able to make it. So this is your chance to tell us what you think the main problems with the quiz are right now.

Of course, there is no shortage of feature requests and bugs in the tracker: http://tracker.moodle.org/secure/IssueNavigator.jspa?mode=hide&requestId=10015. What would be most helpful would be for you to give a short list of high priority issues, not just the longest list you can think of. I fact, I am tempted to say that no-one is allowed to list more than three issues in this thread.
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Tim Hunt

Re: What should we talk about at the hack-fest?

by Matt Campbell -
Here's my three:

MDL-5098 Warn students when they are about to submit an incomplete quiz

MDL-1647 Allowing negative marks for questions (possibly related, don't know if there's a tracker issue: all answers must be correct for credit - else 0)

MDL-5474 Page Navigation bar on quiz too long horizontally (I've replaced the quiz navigation bar on our sites, I know Tim had mentioned some work he's done on the OU install, would be nice to have an option other than the horizontal bar)

Thanks,
Matt
In reply to Matt Campbell

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
MDL-5098 and MDL-5474 we have indeed fixed at the OU, and we hope to incorporate our changes into Moodle 2.0. If you want to know more, watch my colleague Mahmoud's talk, either live, or when it is podcast later.
In reply to Tim Hunt

by Matt Campbell -
Are these fixes that you could easily pack up as a 3rd party mod and make available, or are they radically different from core? Unfortunately, I will not be able to attend, but I look forward to links to the podcasts!

Thanks,
Matt
In reply to Matt Campbell

by Tim Hunt -
It is quite a big change. Also, right at the start we made one bad design decision (entirely my fault, but it only became clear there was a problem with hindsight) which means it is not just a case of sticking all my colleague Mahmoud's work into core, it needs a bit of refactoring on the way. Assuming that nothing more critical comes up, I hope I can do this between now and Christmas.
In reply to Tim Hunt

by Tony Gardner-Medwin -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

I want to suggest that in place of the ADAPTIVE MODE and PENALTYSCHEME in Quiz Update there should be a single multi option switch called 'MARK SCHEME', as below. The options equivalent to the present options are marked **. I thnk this should deal with those who want negative marking without compromising the adaptive mode functionality. At present I have implemented 3,4,5,6,7 in my trial site at www.ucl.ac.uk/lapt/moodle19/moodle, and 1,2 would be no problem. I don't really see the need for 6,7 myself.  Does anybody think 1-5 would not satisfy them?  Tony G-M

Mark Scheme :

1. Simple marking with immediate f/b, no multiple attempts, -ve marks if specified
  2. Simple marking with batch submission, no immediate f/b, -ve marks if specified
  3. Adaptive, with immediate f/b, multiple attempts & penalties (min mark=0) **
  4. Certainty-Based Marking with immediate f/b & -ve marks
  5. Certainty-Based Marking with batch submission, no immediate f/b, -ve marks

with additional options if really desired:

1. Adaptive, as 3 but ignoring penalties even if specified **
  2. Simple marking with batch submission, as 2 but ignoring -ve marks if specified **