Importing HP quiz into Moodle quiz

Importing HP quiz into Moodle quiz

by Glenys Hanson -
Number of replies: 5
Hello Gordon,

I've needed to create a Placement Test. I created it in HP with JQuiz, because I'm more used to that, and I've imported into a Moodle quiz because that's better adapted to testing.

I found it surprisingly easy except that some questions have no right answer in the Moodle quiz. It's possible, but very laborious, to change them manually.

I've uploaded the HP quiz to your http://bateson.kanazawa-gu.ac.jp/moodle/18/ms/ site and turned it into a Moodle quiz: Placement Test. The same questions that didn't work on my site, don't work on yours, that is numbers: 6, 11 , 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 22, 23, 30, 34, 35, 37.
They work fine in the original HP quiz.

Sorry to lumber you with such a large number of questions, but in my mini 2 question quiz the problem doesn't arise.

What am I doing to create this problem?

I'm on Moodle 1.8.2 but there was a problem on our old 1.6.5 platform too. HP version 6.2.2.2

All the best,
Glenys

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Glenys Hanson

Re: Importing HP quiz into Moodle quiz

by Gordon Bateson -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
Hi Glenys,
thanks very much for loading up the quiz on my server. I have had a preliminary look and have been able to identify the cause of the problem.

All the questions which have no correct answer after being imported, have the "% correct" setting, which is the score for the answer, set to zero for the correct answer.

For example, on the attached screen shot of question 6 in the "test.jqz" file, option "C" is to be accepted as correct, but the "% correct" setting for option "C" is zero. If you set "% correct" to "100%", this question will be imported as you want.

I will try to modify the HotPot import script so that it correctly recognizes correct answers whose score is 0%. In the meantime, as I think it may be that you did not intend for the score of any of the correct options in questions in the placement test to get 0%, you may like to change the score for these answers to 100%. Then the quiz will import as expected.

all the best
Gordon

Attachment jquiz.glenys.q6.jpg
In reply to Gordon Bateson

by Glenys Hanson -
Hi Gordon,

Oh, I see!

But I was using "Beginner mode" and there the weighting isn't visible. I don't understand how it came to be as it was: I've fixed it now.

Thanks again for your help.
Glenys
In reply to Glenys Hanson

by Gordon Bateson -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
Hello again Glenys,
I'm glad to hear you have got the JQuiz file to import as you want approve

> I was using "Beginner mode"
> and there the weighting isn't visible.
> I don't understand how it came to be as it was

It does seem odd thoughtful

Perhaps this quiz file was based on a copy from another quiz? Perhaps you have moved between "beginner" mode and "advanced" mode at some time in the past? Perhaps question 6 had some of its options added, removed or moved about?

I'm not sure, but if you can isolate how it happened, it would be useful thing to report to Martin and Stewart on the Hot Potatoes Users forum

As far as Moodle's quiz module is concerned, the answers to a multiple choice question have no flag to identify them as correct answers, they simply have percent score.

The HotPot import script could be modified to set zero scores to 100%, which is obviously what you intended in this case. However, it could be that someone creates a JQuiz in "Advanced" mode, and purposefully checks "Accept as correct" flag and then uses the percent to set scores for how correct each of the answers are. Indeed this is the recommended way to make a traditional multiple-choice test in JQuiz

So it would be smarter for the HotPot import script to behave as follows when importing multiple choice questions in a JQuiz:

if all the "accept as correct" answers for a given question have a score of 0%, then set the scores to for those correct answers to 100%

That would handle all situations nicely I think smile

I'll leave this post here for my reference, and modify the HotPot import script later this week.

cheers
Gordon

by Gordon Bateson -
I guess there's no time like the present (!) so I went ahead and effected the change I described earlier.

The HotPot import script will now handle your old "test.jqz" (changing zero scores to 100%), and your new "test.jqz" (which has no zero scores), and will also do the right thing when importing a JQuiz multichoice question with all answers marked "Accept as correct" and the scores for the answers range from 0% to 100%.

thanks for reporting this and making the "test.jqz" file available approve

best regards
Gordon

by Glenys Hanson -
Hello Gordon,

Thanks for your usual speedy solution. cool

All the best,
Glenys