Documentation for the new gradebook in 1.9 ?

Documentation for the new gradebook in 1.9 ?

by Gerhilde Meissl-Egghart -
Number of replies: 8
Hi!
I'm quite new to moodle and I'm looking for accurate documentation about the new gradebook in 1.9. It seems to me, that all the available documentation is about older gradebook-versions.
I visited the "clean gradebook course", but there are still many unanswered questions.
Can anybody help me?
In reply to Gerhilde Meissl-Egghart

Re: Documentation for the new gradebook in 1.9 ?

by Séverin Terrier -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
In reply to Séverin Terrier

by Anthony Borrow -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Séverin - It seems to me that it might be good to have a separate page of help instructions for Moodle 1.9+. That way, the previous documentation can remain intact but the new features implemented in 1.9 can be improved upon. Peace - Anthony
In reply to Anthony Borrow

by Séverin Terrier -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Anthony,

you're certainly right, i can't really tell, didn't have time to look at gradebook improvments in 1.9.

What i'm sure is that documentation should be available when 1.9 will be final.
In reply to Séverin Terrier

by Gerhilde Meissl-Egghart -
Hi,
what I would need is a bit more "gradebook-basics": what is a grade, what is a mark, a maximum grade, a raw-score, a range ...; a bit more about the basic philosophy behind it; maybe this has not changed in 1.9 (but I didn't find it for earylier versions either).

by Chad Outten -
Picture of Testers

Firstly, well done to Martin D. & Open University for the gradebook rewrite. Its a quantum leap, really! The interface is more intuitive, powerful & cleaner. The fact outcomes can now be tied to scales means things like competencies, goals, standards or criteria can also be assessed. It simply adds more value to any form of assessment in moodle. Importing & exporting report data that utilises, is utilised by other systems in various formats is useful, too.

The natural progression from here will be the ability to output quality student reports based on gradebook data. Then we have a serious reporting system. In terms of documentation, there doesn't appear to be a teacher page for gradebook 1.9 yet, but i'd suggest you check out the following developer pages.

http://docs.moodle.org/en/Development:Grades

http://docs.moodle.org/en/Development:Outcomes

Cheers, Chad

by Matt Gibson -
This page in moodle docs is the one you get to from the link at the bottom of the grader report screen and is probably the best place for 1.9 gradebook basics. I've made a start, but there are some things like ranges, that I'm not certain about as the settings don't seem to do what I thought they would.