Extending group functionality

Extending group functionality

by Rob Hurson -
Number of replies: 4

Hi there.

I'm currently working on extending Moodle's group functionality for Dublin City University's Moodle site, hopefully with a view to making it a bit more useful for teachers here. The idea behind this project is that groups will be made more workable for tutorials, projects etc, especially for large classes.

The main features of the system are:

• Support for multiple group "projects" running concurrently within a course, ie students can join seperate groups for different projects, or join a group associated with a class practical / tutorial on a specific day etc.
  • Support for "meta-groups" within a specific group project. This is useful for courses where there are large class sizes but small group sizes, so that groups can be bundled together.
  • Three different methods for joining a group. Students can be assigned by a teacher (as at present), can join a group themselves or can be assigned automatically. The automatic assignment adds students to groups with the lowest number of members, until the minimum required group size has been met. Combinations will also be supported, ie an editing teacher can override a student or the system's own allocations and put them in a different group.
  • Minimum and maximum group sizes, as well as a definable timeframe within which students will be able to join a group.
  • Group locking by students (option as defined by lecturer). Students can prevent anyone else from joining a group so long as they have met the minimum group size. Of course this can be overridded by an editing teacher.
  • Private group creation (option as defined by lecturer). Students can create their own group (say for a project) and place a password on it. This will ensure that only those they want can join a team. If the minimum number of students have not joined one of these groups after a period of time defined by the lecturer the group will be deleted.
  • A short text description of a group can be posted on the view groups page. This can be edited by members of a group. This is handy should a group require a certain type of new member ie one from a particular class or discipline.
  • Reports will be available to the teacher that owns the course based on group composition by student name, meta-group name, group name etc. These will be available in Excel and text formats.

One thing that has been mentioned to me that we're not including is editing privileges for non-editing teachers within a group or meta-group. It would be nice but we haven't the time to implement that at present.We should be starting testing of this within a week or two.

If you want to know more about the project or have any queries/rants etc then drop me a mail at my address. I'll get back to you as soon as possible.

Regards,
Rob H.
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Rob Hurson

Re: Extending group functionality

by Martin Dougiamas -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Hi, Rob!

Sounds great!  A few quick thoughts:

• It'd be nice to see this done in a way others can use too (I'm sure many would find it useful and help you test/improve it).  wink
  • It should be provide an upgrade path for the current group functionality.
  • Simplicity of interface is really important ... it mustn't overly confuse someone new to online learning.

In reply to Martin Dougiamas

by Rob Hurson -

It'd be nice to see this done in a way others can use too (I'm sure many would find it useful and help you test/improve it).

Absolutely. It looks like we'll release it for general testing once we pass the alpha stage (ie once I've gotten rid of the glaring mistakes tongueout ). I've been chatting with several lecturers who have been hanging about the college the last few weeks, and it should (hopefully) meet most of their needs. I'll have a demo running later this week when I should be able to show them what I've got so far. It's designed to be as generalised as possible, by fiddling with the settings you can use it for several group projects within a course, assigning tutorial groups etc. You can change the words for groups and meta-groups (working titletm) like you can with students & teachers to make it more applicable to the group project in question. That said, someone will surely come up with something really good that I haven't though of yet sad

It should be provide an upgrade path for the current group functionality.

Yep, this is the fun bit. It's a major rewrite of the current group setup, without losing any of the existing features. As regarding installation, etc, well, that'll be interesting. There are a good few computer science types working in here over the summer on various Moodle-related projects. We'll be looking to make installation, etc as painless as possible. Well, once I've tidied it up a bit...

Simplicity of interface is really important ... it mustn't overly confuse someone new to online learning.

A student using it has very few options depending on how the teacher has set up the particular project, which I'm kinda proud of wink I've been getting positive feedback on the lecturer interface so far, and I'll write up a few tutorials on how to do common tasks as well as help links for some of the odder concepts in it (like student team creation & timeouts).

Thanks for the feedback smile

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Rob Hurson

by Martin Dougiamas -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Can you hear that rumbling sound, getting louder?  See the dust being kicked up in the distance?  big grin
In reply to Martin Dougiamas

by Tom Murdock -
Our dearest Martin, are we testers just buffalo stampeding across a field, scaring the lights out of developers?
Attachment stampede.gif