Lost in Wiki-land!

Lost in Wiki-land!

by Susannah Brown -
Number of replies: 7

Although I well understand the concept of Wikis... I am flumoxed as to how to put one together.

I've selected it as a Resource and made a first page... I think... but how do I get the thingy working?

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Susannah Brown

Re: Lost in Wiki-land!

by A. T. Wyatt -
Greetings, Susannah!

If you are working with the default Moodle wiki, you need to create new pages. There are two ways to do this: one is with camelcase and one is with [].

CamelCase is where you have a capital letter in the middle of the word. I personally do not use this because I dislike misspelling a word! So when I create my links, I surround them with the square brackets. When you save, the wiki picks up the text in the [] and puts a little blue question mark beside it. If you click on the ?, then you are committing the transaction that creates a new page.

I have had problems with blank pages. Even if you decide not to use the page, put some text on it and save it. You can always delete the orphans later. Also, it might be my imagination, but I would be a little wary of putting in any executable code snippets. I never know if it is going to cause a problem or not! So I try to put those in <pre> </pre> tags just in case.

Good luck with your endeavors! There is a moodle wiki markup guide somewhere. I think I looked up another on on google (efurt wiki markup).

atw

In reply to A. T. Wyatt

by Toni Twiss -
Thank you so much.

I have sat here for 30 mins trying to figure out how to make new pages that the students can add to. Had never heard of camelCase - I'm not sure I really get it but it works! Thank so much - class of 20 in here in 10 minutes and it's all ready to go.
In reply to A. T. Wyatt

by Leah Hemeon -
Picture of Testers

Thank you so much for posting this A.T.  I am trying to put my first Wiki up - have edited several (including fixing spelling on wikipedia) but couldn't figure out for the life of me how to get past the first page. I read the chapter on Wiki's from the Moodle Docs but couldn't figure out what CamelCase was (should have google'd it now that I think of it).

Off to play in wiki-land now!

by John Isner -
Here's the moodle.org help file how to wiki.
In reply to John Isner

by Susannah Brown -

Wonderful, helpful Moodle-people! So much better then paying for unuseful support from the Blackboard people.

I'll give it a go now.

by chris dennison -

A further bit of advice - only use simple alpha-numeric links.  My admin staff got into a mess when they started to put '.'s in names such as page.1

Regards

Average of ratings: Useful (1)