Let students pick theme?

Let students pick theme?

by Fernando Oliveira -
Number of replies: 5
Picture of Plugin developers

Not sure if there's been a discussion about the pros/cons of allowing students to control their own theme. I like the idea myself and I'm just wondering what others think.

Regards,

Fernando

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Fernando Oliveira

Re: Let students pick theme?

by Gustav W Delius -
This is an absolute must for reasons of accessibility. Students with various kinds of vision problems need to be able to pick a theme appropriate to their vision. So I am quite sure that this will be in Moodle 2.0.
In reply to Fernando Oliveira

by David Scotson -
I've been working on doing this kind of thing with something based on Zeldman's javascript CSS style switcher:

http://www.zeldman.com/about/switch/

At the moment I'm just trying to adjust text-size but it is possible to achieve more adventurous changes.

However, I'm not sure how this system would interact with Moodle's styles.php file since it defines PHP variables as well as CSS styles. I'm trying to do without any PHP in order to implement all styles in CSS only, but doing so will require some minor changes to Moodle's HTML as some styles are only defined in this way.
In reply to David Scotson

by Martin Dougiamas -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
This is something like I'm hoping Moodle will feel in 2.0 (look in the top-right).
In reply to Martin Dougiamas

by Tim Gottleber -
Probably a dumb comment, but it would seem that perhaps working toward universal access rather than "flashy and pretty" might be a good idea? I teach my (X/D)HTML students that one requirement is that their pages be "Best viewed in ANY browser". When they try something that only works in IE, or Navigator they are marked down for it. If it doesn't work in Opera, Safari, IE, Mozilla, and a non-graphical browser lke lynx, it is unusable as far as we are concerned.

Just my $.02.

tim