Web Page - adding spaces

Web Page - adding spaces

by Lynn Hadfield -
Number of replies: 9
I'm using the web page resource to type the lyrics and chords for a song - the chords need to be lined up above the correct lyrics but when I use multiple spaces they seem to be ignored.

When I go into the html and add several   it works until I go back in to do more editing at which point all the  's vanish and I have to start all over again. Is there a way to get the html to recognize (and continue to recognize) multiple spaces?
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Lynn Hadfield

Re: Web Page - adding spaces

by Steve Hyndman -

Disable the HTML editor in your profile.

Steve

In reply to Steve Hyndman

by Lynn Hadfield -
Thanks - that did the trick. Very painful though - adding the approximate number of  's, updating, checking the alignment, revising the number of  's, updating, checking, etc. till the alignment is correct.

Hopefully there's a less tedious method!

by Steve Hyndman -

Yes...when I need to do editing like that, I typically do it in FrontPage wysiwyg editor, copy the code and paste it in the moodle editor.

Steve

by John Isner -
You could do what Steve suggested, or you could use software specifically designed for typesetting music (chords and lyrics), use it to generate an image, then insert the image into the editor.
In reply to John Isner

by Lynn Hadfield -
Thanks John - that's a good suggestion for actual notes and I've used it extensively but this is just for lyrics/chords although I guess I could do it in a word processor, take a screen shot, edit, upload as image. It might be easier than the other suggestion.

I need to have exact alignment, e.g. as if I needed the letter C right above a specific word, no music notation used.

I guess I could also do all the spacing in an html editor (Dreamweaver) and copy and paste the code into the edit window.

by John Isner -
Maybe you should post an example. Do you mean something like this?

E
D
C
D
E
E
E
D
D
D
E
G
G
Ma-
-ry
had
a
lit-
-tle
lamb,
lit-
-tle
lamb,
lit-
-tle
lamb,

(I used a 2 x 13 table). Ugh.

by e phrases -
Sounds like something you could do with a table? Two rows, lots of columns, one word per column (centred) on one row, one note per column (also centred) on the other. Add or remove borders to the table cells depending on the effect you want. Just a thought ...
Helen
In reply to e phrases

by e phrases -
Ah - John has already done what I was suggesting - and with an example!
In reply to e phrases

by Lynn Hadfield -
Yeah, it's a great example and almost works. I guess the short answer (so far) is there is no shortcut but a few workarounds. Hard to imagine that such a little thing like adding spaces would be so 'difficult'.