Science lab re-design

Science lab re-design

by Vinny Stocker -
Number of replies: 8
Picture of Plugin developers

Hi,

I didn't really know where to post this so here goes. Hopefully someone out there in Moodle land might be able to give me some good ideas.

I am a teacher in the UK and am re-designing one of our school science labs to have computers at hand for pupils to use. The object of this is to;

a, increase the use of online learning within lessons and

b, allow data from experiments to be sent to the computers for graphing and analysis.

As it is a Science lab there is both water and bunsen burners etc. both of which computers don't really get along with. I am looking for examples of similar labs, designs, best practice, any links or ideas to help me make up my mind exactly what we should be going for would be much appreciated.

Cheers

Vinny

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Vinny Stocker

Re: Science lab re-design

by Sherry Brown -
My best lab (physics) had hexagonal island/tables with a computer on one facet of the hexagon with work table at the next facet. From above, each hexagon had three spokes (tables). Plenty of working room around the table (no bumping into other kids).

For Chemistry, I need some time to think about this - where will gas/water/electricity be piped in? There was a lab space design web page (US) but can't remember where I found it (I did the Physics lab about 6 years ago).

Especially for Chemistry (where the water is an issue) have you thought about hand held units like the nifty new LabQuest from Vernier? or Explorer GLS from Pasco? I know these are US companies, but the technology is first rate and you can do quite a bit without a huge, honking desktop. You can print from these hand held units (USB ports) and view graphs on the display.

In reply to Sherry Brown

by D.I. von Briesen -
You should mock it up in second life - so you can do a real walkthru before committing to anything.

d.i. (icabad vallejo in second life)
Average of ratings: Cool (1)
In reply to D.I. von Briesen

by Art Lader -

That's pretty creative thinking, D.I. A cool idea!

-- Art

In reply to Vinny Stocker

by Lisa Dick -
I may be totally off with this idea (new to moodle), but we have had great success using PALMS with internet capabilities.  There are even great science probes that directly link to the PALMS.  We use Excel on PALM for data comparisons, etc.
In reply to Lisa Dick

by Sherry Brown -
Your not totally off on this! smile

I know there are other systems, but Vernier does make interfaces to work with PalmOS - it's the LabPro which can also work with a TI graphing calculator (that is my least favorite set up). When you factor in the cost of a PDA, a LabPro and software, the single unit (LabQuest) is a deal - one piece. Much easier for kids (and the teachers who deal with troubleshooting them).
In reply to Sherry Brown

by Lisa Dick -
I guess you can tell I dont teach sciencesmile LOL But I will look up info on the LabQuest for our science teachers. Oh, can you get internet capabilities on labquest?
In reply to Sherry Brown

by Vinny Stocker -
Picture of Plugin developers

Thanks for the info Sherry. Have you heard of using ipods/3g phones/sony PSP/hp ipaq's with pupils? Seems to me there is loads of potential there as most have wireless internet conections so must be able to hook them up to the school network.

Vinny