Category, course and ?

Category, course and ?

by Tormod Hansen -
Number of replies: 5
If it is possible I would like to have a on more level than category and course. Right now I can set up a class as a course and then have all the teachers use the same  site or  I can  set  up  each  subject  as  course  and  then the class have a different site for each subject. Am I right here or cant I see the possibilities? 

I would like the class to have a common site with the calendar that covers all the subject and from here they should go to the history, math and so on.

I did not explain too good because of  my poor english but I hope that someone understand and have a good idear how to solve this problem.

rådvild
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Tormod Hansen

Re: Category, course and ?

by Gustav W Delius -
Setting up each subject as a separate course is certainly the recommended way. You can then set up your site to show the list of courses. After logging in to the site the student will see the list of all the courses in which the student is enrolled. This seems to be just what you want. The only thing that is currently still missing is the possibility to have a calendar on the site homepage, but a feature request already exists for that.

Re: Category, course and ?

by Hans de Zwart -
I think I understand what you need.
Many of your problems can be solved by using multiple course categories (more than one level deep). Another option would be to use groups inside a subject. You would have the subject mathematics and then put the classes in groups.

However it might be a good idea to add some functionality to the calender. Right now you can add the following events (somebody correct me if I am wrong):
  • Global events, for the whole site  (not everybody is allowed to set these)
  • Course events
  • Group events
  • and, User events
I guess there might be a need for course category events. This might not be very easy to implement since every course category can have a course category as a parent...
In reply to Hans de Zwart

Ang: Re: Category, course and ?

by Tormod Hansen -
To Hans de Zwart  -  thank you for your answer.
I don't understand this sentence: "Many of your problems can be solved by using multiple course categories (more than one level deep)". How can I do that. Right now I have two levels. A catogory named "subject" and under this the different subjects. But one class shall have a new site to all their subjects. I just want a class to have one common site and under that the subjects site with assignments, lessons and so on.

Tormod Hansen

Re: Ang: Re: Category, course and ?

by Hans de Zwart -
You could take the word course categories less literal. In your case it would be possible to create a top level 'course category' for every class and they create second level categories for every subject.
You can find the interface for creating categories at admin->courses
Add a category and move it to another category to make it a child of that category.
In reply to Hans de Zwart

Ang: Re: Ang: Re: Category, course and ?

by Tormod Hansen -
Thank you -

I have tried it and it worked fine.  I did not notice this opportunity. I helps me some of the way. Now I just need to have a common calendar for all the subjects.

I have now tried Moodle for a few month and it is impressing.